Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Request for HTML editor recommendation for personal use...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-13-08, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in need of a good HTML editor. The last time I used an HTML editor was when HotDog was considered a good editor, so almost a decade ago. I have no idea what is good today. What I want to do is redo my personal homepage, so I don't need the best in class. I would prefer free, but I'm willing to spend a modest amount (say $50 or less). I run Vista, so it would need to be compatible.

Basically, I want the site to have the following features:

1. A personal blog - basically, just notes I want to make available.
2. A simple message board - nothing too elaborate or hard to maintain - just for friends and family.
3. Do some kind of picture/thumbnail system to share photos and artwork I created.
4. A link manager that will allow me to create links to favorite sites.
5. Maybe leave some personal diaries of projects I work on, with photos (detailed product reviews I write, step-by-step summary of building a PC - that kind of thing). But these can be static web pages as I don't expect to modify them after creation.

I realize that most of what I am describing is available in some kind of online service already (for example, there are dozens of photo sharing, online link managers, and blog software sites), but I'd like to have everything in the same place and I always find something lacking in the one-size-fits-all online solutions.

Once it is up, I want to manage the site online, so I wouldn't mind recommendations for Perl scripts (is Perl still used?) for the message board, photo, and link manager. Of those, the only once that I am really picky about is the link manager, as I plan to move several hundred bookmarks in my browser to the site, and I need to be able to categorize the links and provide a brief 1-3 sentence personal note.