Question about RAID 1??

Old 06-12-08, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Question about RAID 1??

Can somebody please tell me:
If I have, for example F: being mirrored by RAID 1 onto a drive G:

1. Can I see G: in Windows Explorer?
2. How can I check to see if it's REALLY working - like looking to see if the most recent files are on G:
3. So, if I cannot see G: in Windows Explorer, then if F: fails, does something automatically happen so at that point I can see G: in Windows Explorer, or what?
4. Is there a SIMPLE website I can visit which will explain these things? I have searched on google and have found about a million pages which "explain" the various RAID modes, but none of them which I have visited seem to answer the questions I have asked above - unless they answer my questions in language which I don't understand.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-08, 11:16 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
If you have RAID 1, you'll only see one drive letter. RAID 1 doesn't make a copy on a different lettered drive, they're one and the same to your OS.
Old 06-12-08, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your RAID card should include a Windows utility that can monitor your RAID setup, confirm that it's mirroring your data, and complain very loudly if/when something goes wrong.

Last edited by GHackmann; 06-12-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-13-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Thanks for the information guys. I guess you answered my basic questions, but nobody addressed my question 3 - what happens when/if Drive F: fails?
Old 06-16-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by danwiz
Thanks for the information guys. I guess you answered my basic questions, but nobody addressed my question 3 - what happens when/if Drive F: fails?
GHackmann answered that. The windows monitoring utility you use for the RAID will tell you if one of the disks in the RAID fails . At that point, you should quickly get a replacement for that disk, for until you do, you have no backup or mirror of your data. You should still be able to access the drive until you get a replacement though. Note that either disk can fail and you'll still have access to "F."

Note that you should refrain from calling the harddrives in the RAID as "F" and "G," as these refer to the OS designation of harddrives, and to the OS the entire RAID is drive "F," the individual disks are not assigned different letters. If you added another drive that wasn't part of the RAID, this drive would be given the letter "G."

Instead, you may want to consider calling them "disk 0" and "disk 1" of "drive F."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks