Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Never thought I'd say this: Vista kicks arse.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-04-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always hated Vista. Ever since it came out. Working on peoples slow Vista machines. Dells and HP's new out of the box that work like 486's because of Vista on them. Horror stories of hardware not working. Never seen one that worked right. Swore I'd never use Vista ever.

Or so I thought. I just installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.3ghz with 4gb of DDR 400 and a Radeon 3850 and for an older PC Vista is awesomely fast! I'm not sure if it's because I"m using the 64 bit version or what. I loved the fact that the only driver I had to install was my video card drivers. Everything else just worked. Sound, network card everything. Even my external hard drive worked great. I had heard that there was a problem with MyBooks with Vista. Well not here.

What took an hour of updating and driver installing to get XP working right took 5 min with Vista. I was debating on building a new PC but after this I don't have too quite yet. I can play games like Company of Heroes and World in Conflict at the same performance as XP. Only problem is I'm using iTunes 64 and it crashes when I pause a podcast download. But it isn't that big of a deal.

I'm very pleased and won't go back to XP unless something major happens. But 2 days of use and I'm loving it so far. So if you are scared of Vista don't be. I'm not sure why those retail PC's I've seen are so slow. Maybe because of the sparse amount of memory they put in them?
Old 06-05-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
back on XP for my laptop due to driver issues with SP1

when HP gets it's act together i'm going to install Vista Ultimate SP1 on it. Otherwise both use about the same number of resources and perform pretty much the same. battery life is the same on both.

biggest problem i had with Vista was when logging on to my laptop at home and not on the domain it would take a whie to go past the screen
Old 06-05-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I'm very pleased and won't go back to XP unless something major happens. But 2 days of use and I'm loving it so far. So if you are scared of Vista don't be. I'm not sure why those retail PC's I've seen are so slow. Maybe because of the sparse amount of memory they put in them?
Exactly, they're not building those PCs for Vista.

I've been on Vista for a few months, no problems, everything (even crazy old stuff) works fine for me.
Old 06-05-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, i've said for the last year that Vista has been running fine for me. Only thing that sucks is Cisco doesn't have a 64-bit VPN client.
Old 06-05-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have Vista on a Laptop and Desktop and have never had any issues to speak of..........
Old 06-05-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 148 Likes on 105 Posts
Running Vista (and posting from it now) for 16 months now. It still has a ways to go to be ready for the enterprise (Windows Server 2008 will fix that), but it's fine for a typical workstation. I still prefer XP though.
Old 06-05-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my laptops is running Vista and it's the most stable computer in the house.
Old 06-05-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my opinion, if you want to run Windows Vista decently fast you need the following:

1) At least a dual-core x86 CPU.
2) At minimum 2 GB of system RAM.
3) At minimum a 250-300 GB hard drive in ATA-100 or Serial ATA 150 connection.
4) A graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0 graphics.

I have a new HP Pavilion a6400f and it runs Vista Home Premium Edition quite well indeed, except for an occasional problem with IE 7.0 "freezing" on highly-formatted web pages (Microsoft more or less acknowledges the problem, though). I do plan to start using Firefox 3.0 once the final version is released in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
my systems are all running vista without any problems
and as Ive said in some other threads.. I have completley been spoiled by some of the common sense additions made in vista, that should have been around years ago.
Old 06-05-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RayChuang
In my opinion, if you want to run Windows Vista decently fast you need the following:

1) At least a dual-core x86 CPU.
2) At minimum 2 GB of system RAM.
3) At minimum a 250-300 GB hard drive in ATA-100 or Serial ATA 150 connection.
4) A graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0 graphics.

I have a new HP Pavilion a6400f and it runs Vista Home Premium Edition quite well indeed, except for an occasional problem with IE 7.0 "freezing" on highly-formatted web pages (Microsoft more or less acknowledges the problem, though). I do plan to start using Firefox 3.0 once the final version is released in a couple of weeks.
you can run it on a lot less

the bloat comes from all the other apps you install and all the crap people add on to IE or Firefox. these can easily eat up a few hundred MD of RAM
Old 06-05-08, 03:24 PM

Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts
Vista came installed on my HP Pavilion Elite m9100z in February and I like it. Searching for documents / data has never been easier, multiple programs run smoothly at the same time, and frankly, it all looks pretty, too.
Old 06-06-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts
Still running fine for me as well - even better after SP1. Keep in mind, regardless of what you here - Vista was made for Duo-core machines.
Old 06-06-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vista didn't work for me until SP1. Before that, I had about 4 pieces of hardware with clunky drivers, or no drivers at all. I still had to buy a new keyboard to get the multimedia keys to work, but now with SP1, I'm really loving Vista. The little improvements do make my computing easier.

That said, I still wouldn't take the time to upgrade any of my stable XP PCs in the house, but if buying a new PC, for the first time I can confidently say I WOULD go with Vista.
Old 06-08-08, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that Vista's been a victim of negative marketing. Early problems, esp with certifying underpowered hardware with Vista Ready designations, gave it a reputation that it definitely doesn't deserve. I think Apple fanboys picked it up and ran with it, and it became fun to make fun of Vista. I know people at work who aren't tech savvy, and even they snicker at Vista because of the Mac/PC ads. And given that the majority of the public isn't very tech savvy, well, it's easy to see how Vista got caught in the wave of negative publicity.

My only problem with Vista is that it's not exactly revolutionary. They didn't take very many risks and sometimes I feel like I'm just running a very polished version of Windows XP with a new shell. I'm much more looking forward to Windows 7.
Old 06-09-08, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
my systems are all running vista without any problems
and as Ive said in some other threads.. I have completley been spoiled by some of the common sense additions made in vista, that should have been around years ago.
I have been running Vista for 16-17 months and have not had any major issues. I do have a few programs that don't work but come on....how long should Microsoft support old software and hardware? I tried going back to XP when SP3 was released just to see if I could and I had major issues and crashed like before. Vista has never crashed on me once!
Old 06-09-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just picked up the Best Buy exclusive HP 2845se with 64-bit Vista, 4GB ram and 2.10ghz Turion X2 and have to say it's running like a dream. Super quick and stable. That's pretty much in line with my experiences with Vista so far, if you have a peppy machine it runs great, but if your hardware is lacking a little it runs like a bear.
Old 06-09-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only real problem I've had with Vista is all the bugs in the sleep functionality. Other than that and some early annoyances integrating it into my network, it's worked fine.

das
Old 06-09-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I hate Vista. There are sooooo many little things that my company's app needs from the OS, that is make it almost impossible for this to work correctly.

On top of that, I, a very Windows savy guy, can't even find things in the open. And if I can't figure it out the average person is going to lost. For now I have three XP boxes (one at home and two at work) and my Macs...so I am happy with that.

However there are some nifty little things in there I like, but the bad out weighs the good for me.
Old 06-10-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
I just got a new pc a couple months ago with Vista Ultimate 64bit and I was scared after all the horror stories I heard. Maybe I've just been lucky but I really love it. Works fine and like someone else said, it is very pretty. I love the Dreamscenes animated desktop.
Old 06-10-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I run Vista Business just fine on my ol' Pentium M 1.86Ghz. 2GB RAM.
Old 06-10-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Given my job and dealing with Vista on a daily basis, I am finding it is more about how people use it as opposed to what the specs are. In my case, my company's product works a certain way and Vista prohibits it from doing that in a timely fashion or even trying to make easy to do so. That being said, some people are not going to have any issues...others will.
Old 06-11-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like Vista. I am a developer. I pretty much live in Windows Explorer for moving files around and all that kind of stuff. I hate the new Windows Explorer that is in Vista. I like the older one in XP much much better. That alone is keeping me in XP.
Old 06-11-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vista has huge problems with Visual Studio 2005. I am an ASP.NET developer and Internet Explorer frequently crashes when I try to attach a debug process to it.
Old 06-12-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I don't like Vista. I am a developer. I pretty much live in Windows Explorer for moving files around and all that kind of stuff. I hate the new Windows Explorer that is in Vista. I like the older one in XP much much better. That alone is keeping me in XP.
You are not alone!
I have gone back to XP just because of how annoying the new explorer is. It looks good but the functionality is not the same. Can't understand why they'd do away with something as simple as the "Up" button (I know about Alt + Up ) when people are so used to it.
Old 06-12-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I've always been spoiled. I use a Mac, which 'just works', and hey, it's not a surprise, like it is when Vista actually works for a user.

= J

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.