Reload this Page >

I need help with wireless network and sharing

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-28-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I set up a few folders and files to be shared. I also set up my printer as shared. The problem is I can not find it on the other computer that is on the network..attached wirelessly

ok, i got the above to work

see my question below

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 05-28-08 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
I set up a few folders and files to be shared. I also set up my printer as shared. The problem is I can not find it on the other computer that is on the network..attached wirelessly

ALso, so I am using 64 bit wep encryption is that ok?

Do I need to turn my wireless router off? Is there a way to just turn the wirelss portion off?

I bought the Belkin wirelss G with MIMO. I use the built in wireless in my laptop, which is G compliant. did I spend more then I had to by buying the MIMO option? I'm not sure I am actually implementing with MIMO... Ho do I know? Do I need to buy the MIMO card if that what I want?

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 05-28-08 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-28-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
go to the command prompt and type net view. Does it list computers apart from your own?

Are the computers in the same workgroup?
Old 05-29-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
WEP sucks. You might as well not even bother. WPA (or even better, WPA2) is where you want to be.
Old 05-29-08, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 207 Posts
ALso, so I am using 64 bit wep encryption is that ok?
WEP is better than nothing, since it'll keep casual leechers off your network, but it's also easily hackable by anyone who knows what they're doing (i.e. can download a hack program from the net). WPA and WPA2 provide much more secure connections, as long as your passkey is long enough.

Do I need to turn my wireless router off? Is there a way to just turn the wireless portion off?
You shouldn't need to turn either the router or the wireless portion off, as long as the wireless is properly secure (WPA). However, if you're really paranoid, you can turn the wireless off. Check the setup program for this option.

I bought the Belkin wirelss G with MIMO. I use the built in wireless in my laptop, which is G compliant. did I spend more then I had to by buying the MIMO option? I'm not sure I am actually implementing with MIMO... Ho do I know? Do I need to buy the MIMO card if that what I want?
To take advantage of MIMO, both the transmitting and receiving end need to be MIMO compliant. So yes, you'll need a MIMO compatible card in your laptop if you want to take advantage of it.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/20370
http://www.behardware.com/articles/6...i-fi-mimo.html

Whether or not you even need MIMO depends on what you're using your wifi connection for. If you're transferring large amounts of data between computers within your own network (i.e. from PC to laptop or vice-versa), then MIMO might come in handy. However, if you're using wireless primarily for internet, your internet connection is probably slower than even regular 802.11g, and MIMO is likely not necessary.
Old 05-29-08, 07:48 AM

Oh, well. then I guess I paid to much for my router.. It was 59.99. After I got it home and installed it, I saw it at Circuity city for 49.99. I'll need to see if Staples will price match.

Staples had a Netgear,I think, for $34.99... I should of just bought that.

I'll have to see how to change the encryption... I had to get help from this guy in India to set it up for me... Will I have any problems with my laptop connecting? I've yet to try connecting with my WII
Old 05-29-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll have to see how to change the encryption... I had to get help from this guy in India to set it up for me... Will I have any problems with my laptop connecting? I've yet to try connecting with my WII
The Wii can handle WPA and WPA2. It does have some issues with certain routers. You can look here for more info:
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...uterChoose.jsp

If you have at least XP SP2 on your laptop, you should be able to handle WPA and WPA2. Here's a guide for setting up WPA2 in XP on your laptop:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx

You'll need to consult the manual for whatever router you finally decide on to figure out how to set up the router for WPA/2
Old 05-29-08, 08:25 AM

Well they don't list my Belkin router but mine does have MIMO.... It is G though. I hope I don't have any problems....
The router I have is the Belkin, F5D9230-4. Anyone hear if this might be a problem?
Old 05-29-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well they don't list my Belkin router but mine does have MIMO.... It is G though. I hope I don't have any problems....
The router I have is the Belkin, F5D9230-4. Anyone hear if this might be a problem?
It's listed as compatible on this user forum:
http://www.wiitalk.co.uk/forums/wii-...ers-index.html
Old 05-29-08, 07:24 PM

so I got my WII hooked up. i probably should ask this in he gaming forum, but can you surf any web page on the WII? like yahoo? I couldn't figure it out.
Old 05-29-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For general web browsing on the Wii you need to buy the Internet Channel web browser (a version of Opera 9) from the Wii Shop. It costs 500 Wii Points, the equivalent of $5.00.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Channel