Reload this Page >

Sleek Large Hard Drives That Work For Both Mac and PC

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-23-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking for an external hard drive that is easy to carry around that will be compatible with a MacBook as well as a desktop PC. I need atleast 500GBs. Any suggestions?
Old 05-23-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts
Pretty much any external hd you buy will work with modern Macs and PCs interchangeably.

I've used LaCie and Western Digital with no problems on both systems. I've also made my own using old desktop HDs and enclosures, and they work too.
Old 05-23-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's good to know.

Anybody have any experience with any of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822204068

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822216041

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136186
Old 05-23-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Pretty much any external hd you buy will work with modern Macs and PCs interchangeably.

I've used LaCie and Western Digital with no problems on both systems. I've also made my own using old desktop HDs and enclosures, and they work too.
Yes to a point. The formatting of the HDD is important. For example, the default format option for PC is NTFS. With a Mac, you can read files from a HDD formatted with NTFS, but you can't add or delete them. Since I am a PC user, I don't know off the top of my head what format the Mac uses, but I do know that the most usable type is FAT32. This can be used by both systems with both also being able to modify files. However, you run into that pesky 4GB ceiling with a FAT32 format....
Old 05-23-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i really like the new Iomega Ego drives...

they have rated as some of the fastest USB drives there are in tranfer speed... CNET said it was the fastest they had ever tested...

and they are having longer life with some built in shock resistance...

most of the other brands have a lot of 'it was upright in the stand, fell over, and never worked again' problems...

i'm not sure if Iomega has the size you want... but when i buy i'm buying the Ego...
Old 05-23-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GIjon213
Yes to a point. The formatting of the HDD is important. For example, the default format option for PC is NTFS. With a Mac, you can read files from a HDD formatted with NTFS, but you can't add or delete them. Since I am a PC user, I don't know off the top of my head what format the Mac uses, but I do know that the most usable type is FAT32. This can be used by both systems with both also being able to modify files. However, you run into that pesky 4GB ceiling with a FAT32 format....
I remember at work that someone had formatted their external drive with Mac's HFS and it wouldn't read on the PC.