Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hotmail - cant get into my account... any ideas?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-20-08, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. This blows. I have had my hotmail account for 5 years maybe and the password just stopped working. I never changed it in those five years and i go today and it just does not work anymore. I have NO idea why.

So I try the forgotten password link. The questions they ask are easy enough - Like zip code High School etc. However, its not working - i am thinking that i must have had a typo when i created the account in one of those questions.

I tried emailing help and i got a canned response.

ANYONE have any idea how in the world I can get my account back? I have some really important things in there like emails from a friend that has since died even (should have saved somewhere else obviously)

PS: I always get to hotmail from the same bookmark so i did not get cought by a phishing scam. Nor have I emailed or given my email address to anyone new in years. So I have NO idea why the same password is not working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-08, 09:39 PM

Not sure if this is related or not, but mine recently quit working with Outlook Express, but I think they discontinued support for that. Webmail still fine though.
Old 05-21-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

somewhat related - for the past few months, i always have to put my password in twice for hotmail. it never takes it the first time, and in fact, says that it's incorrect (when it's not). does this happen to anyone else? pain in the ass.
Old 05-21-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo
somewhat related - for the past few months, i always have to put my password in twice for hotmail. it never takes it the first time, and in fact, says that it's incorrect (when it's not). does this happen to anyone else? pain in the ass.
And I thought it was just me! My wife has a hotmail account and doesn't have this problem at all. In fact, when I log into her account, I can do so the first time without any problems. I can count on it taking me a 2nd attempt. And you're correct, it's a pain.
Old 05-21-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
And I thought it was just me! My wife has a hotmail account and doesn't have this problem at all. In fact, when I log into her account, I can do so the first time without any problems. I can count on it taking me a 2nd attempt. And you're correct, it's a pain.
i don't type out my password anymore on the first "attempt". i just put in one character and press enter to get to the "real" password screen faster.
Old 05-21-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a similar problem with YouTube. My browser had stored two sets of cookies: one for youtube.com and one for www.youtube.com. Are you always going to www.hotmail.com?
Old 05-21-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I had a similar problem with YouTube. My browser had stored two sets of cookies: one for youtube.com and one for www.youtube.com. Are you always going to www.hotmail.com?

Have you tried the https login for hotmail? Click the enhanced security link to get there.
Old 05-21-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Thanks for the tip. Coincidentally, I had cleared my cookies for something else I was doing today. Now, it appears I'm able to get into hotmail on my first attempt.
Old 05-22-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

damn, none of that worked for me. then again, this doesn't just happen on my computer. it happens on every computer i've used.