Netflix and Roku offer streamin movies to your TV

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-20-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

I know I had a thread about doing this before, but searching for "Netflix" only brings up one thread from 2005, not sure what's up there.

But this looks like a great solution to what I was wanting. And it's from the guys at Roku that make the Soundbridge, which I love. Only $99 too. It doesn't have the library that Apple TV has, but subscribers aren't being charged either, and the library will only grow bigger.
Old 05-20-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't seem to get good quality at all from watch it now on Netflix. I have 1.5mps download speed. Why do I still get shit quality? Hulu is lightyears better. For me at least.
Old 05-20-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlimited Netflix sounds great, but I won't be on board until the quality is as good as upconverted DVD, HD is offered, and the box isn't $99.
Old 05-20-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
I was hoping the XBOX 360 was going to work with this. Oh well.
Old 05-20-08, 12:49 PM

Given how Netflix has been changing membership terms a lot lately (or at least talking about it), I don't think I'd buy a piece of equipment express for this type of service.
Old 05-20-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that just a box so people that don't have their PC hooked up to their TV can still use the Instant viewing option (in other words, the same choice of movies as the website)?
Old 05-20-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Is that just a box so people that don't have their PC hooked up to their TV can still use the Instant viewing option (in other words, the same choice of movies as the website)?
Yea that is what it looks like. I was thinking about getting this and placing it in my kids room. But if they don't offer more kids movies or cartoons it would not be worth it. I have an old PC laying round the house and could do that, but do I want to spend the extra money on electricity or a $99 box is the million dollar question.
Old 05-20-08, 11:42 PM

I'd bet that if people are buying the box, we'd see a quick rise in the number of movies available to view online. I can output to my plasma through my s-video, but it's kind of a pain to do and I'm running sound out of my headphone jack. It's a hassle. It'd be nice to have one box hooked up through HDMI to handle everything.

But I am wondering about the quality. It says it's DVD quality on a fast connection and it's certainly ready to output HD, as soon as they get around to offering the material.

It's been getting good reviews. http://gizmodo.com/392040/6-takes-on-the-netflix-player

Plus it's got a 30 day money back guarantee. I think I'm gonna get it.
Old 05-21-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=531914

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=496857&page=2

Player: http://www.roku.com/netflixplayer/

I too was hoping Apple, Sony and/or Microsoft would be working on a partnership with Netflix on this. You have a much larger install base if that were the case with ATV, PS and 360 respectively.
Old 05-21-08, 08:44 AM

Is there any word on this being available in retail stores?
Old 05-22-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I just pulled the trigger on this one. My order umber was over 31000 and I guess they are selling a ton of them.
Old 05-24-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
I can't seem to get good quality at all from watch it now on Netflix. I have 1.5mps download speed. Why do I still get shit quality? Hulu is lightyears better. For me at least.
Netflix's site says that 2.2Mbps or higher is required for the best quality (i.e. the "3-bars" level quality) which is pretty good quality.

I recommend upgrading an Internet connection to 3Mbps - that shouldn't cost much more to get and the extra quality makes it well-worth it.
Old 05-24-08, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
I have an old PC laying round the house and could do that, but do I want to spend the extra money on electricity or a $99 box is the million dollar question.
The "old" computer needs to be fast/powerful enough to process the video stream. It's unlikely that a below-spec computer could be sufficiently upgraded for less than $99.
Old 06-17-08, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TheKobra
Well I just pulled the trigger on this one. My order umber was over 31000 and I guess they are selling a ton of them.

So how's it working out for you?
Old 06-17-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
I got the box and I LOVE IT. It is awesome. Whenever I run out of stuff in the DVR I have tons of stuff to watch.
Old 06-18-08, 08:42 AM

I had to buy a cheap laptop after my old one died last week - I was surprised to see that it had an HDMI port, so I can use it to view Netflix Instant movies on my TV... instead of buying the $99 box...

Unfortunately, for the most part, their stuff doesn't even come close to DVD quality. Still, it's nice for an unexpected quiet evening when the other discs are in the mail.
Old 11-26-08, 08:48 PM

I've been enjoying the roku box was was a bit dismayed to see, as I got about halfway through Season 1 of Dexter, they removed the series from instant viewing. You can no longer view it online. I had to order the rest of the discs to finish the season. I assumed once something was scanned it would be indefinitely viewable. Apparently not. I'm not sure I like that policy.
Old 11-27-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
I've been enjoying the roku box was was a bit dismayed to see, as I got about halfway through Season 1 of Dexter, they removed the series from instant viewing. You can no longer view it online. I had to order the rest of the discs to finish the season. I assumed once something was scanned it would be indefinitely viewable. Apparently not. I'm not sure I like that policy.
A lot of the online content is only available for a limited time due to rights issues. For the online content, it's best to add them to your "Instant" Queue where an "Available Until" note displays the date of anything that's only available for a limited time.
Old 11-27-08, 07:22 PM

That sucks. I never noticed that before. I wonder what the rights issues are? Online streaming rights?
Old 11-27-08, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While Netflix streaming sounds like a good idea, it's sadly a dead end for one reason: Internet Service Providers are starting to impose monthly download capacity limits. Even 250 GB per month from Comcast is not going to be sufficient if you plan to download movies and TV shows through the Netflix streaming service extensively.

Besides, with the price of Blu-ray players and discs dropping like a rock in water, why bother with "okay" quality when you can get 1080p picture quality at now-reasonable prices?
Old 12-02-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Besides, with the price of Blu-ray players and discs dropping like a rock in water, why bother with "okay" quality when you can get 1080p picture quality at now-reasonable prices?
Because you don't need to wait to receive a disk, and not everything is available on BD.
Old 02-27-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Netflix and Roku offer streamin movies to your TV

I got the Roku about a month ago and have really liked it. I already used the "Watch Instantly" feature a lot on my computer but now use it even more with my HDTV. I like that the Roku has Wi-Fi built-in and is HD (720p) capable (although its should be noted that only a limited selection of titles have HD as an option). I wish it allowed adding titles to your queue (still have to use a computer for that), but that's really not that big of a drawback.

Old 02-27-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The wife and I like to watch Law and Order SVU, Netflix has the entire series in Watch Instantly. I figure it's saving me a ton of money that I don't have to buy entire seasons on DVD, it takes about 15 seconds for an episode to start.
Old 02-27-09, 07:47 PM

I love mine. I use it almost daily. I watched the entire US series of The Office through season 4 in like 2 weeks on it. The only major drawback is the inability to browse their complete selection on the box. Oh, and my wife can't really use the internet if I'm watching something and vice versa, but that is to be expected.