Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Best laptop video output cable option...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-19-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

My HP laptop has s-video out, as well as VGA out.

My new 1080p LCD tv has VGA in, DVI in, and HDMI in.

I know I could simply use S-video, but I would like to max. the resolution, so i figured I would use the VGA out on my laptop...\

HOWEVER, besides a VGA to VGA cable, they also have VGA to DVI cable... Now would VGA (out) to DVI (in) be better quality than regular VGA to VGA?

Just curious....Radio shack has them both...

Thanks,

Matt!
Old 05-19-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts
The VGA output will be capable of higher resolution than S-Video, so that's the right call. Check to see what resolutions the TV is capable of taking.

There's two types of DVI, DVI-A (Analogue) and DVI-D (Digital). A DVI-I connection/cable is capable of both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

DVI-A is the same signal as VGA. A VGA-to-DVI cable simply changes the plug ends. So there would be no difference, if your TV can accept DVI-A. If your TV can only accept DVI-D signals, then the VGA-to-DVI cable won't work.

So, in summary, just go VGA-to-VGA. If you can wait a bit longer than picking the cable from Radioshack, monoprice will probably save you money:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10201
Old 05-20-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay,

Thanks for the reply... HERE is a link to my new TV (res. is 1920 x 1080).

I'll just pick up a VGA-VGA cable....

Thanks again,

Matt!
Old 05-20-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Page 42 of your TV's manual shows all the different resolutions your TV will accept from a PC, up to 1920x1080. Also, the DVI connection is definitely digital.
Old 05-20-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Depending on the model, you can get a component signal from the S-video port with a special cable. I think all the seven pin s-video outputs can do it. There is a thread at notebookreview.com that I'll dig up if interested.
Old 05-20-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Depending on the model, you can get a component signal from the S-video port with a special cable. I think all the seven pin s-video outputs can do it. There is a thread at notebookreview.com that I'll dig up if interested.
It's probably this one you're thinking of:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=195224

According to Wikipedia, not every 7-pin mini-DIN connector will output component, although if the laptop/video card is recent there's a good chance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video#General

VGA's probably still the better choice if it's available. However, it's interesting that the Dell mini-DIN adapter also has digital audio out via a coaxial S/PDIF connection.
Old 05-21-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a VGA-VGA cable, attach a VGA-DVI adaptor on the end, and then attach a DVI-HDMI adaptor on the end again. This will give you the highest video quality.

Just kidding. I mentioned that to the AV boys at work once and it dumbfounded them.