Reload this Page >

I'm having some trouble installing Fedora 8

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-18-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm trying to install Fedora 8 on my laptop, but I've run into a problem. I load the DVD and select "Install or Upgrade an Existing System", then it switches to a command line window (I did not select the "Text-Only" mode) and some lines of code start running down the screen, like it's being installed, but it stops after the line "running /sbin/loader". I left it like that for a few minuets and nothing happened. Is my install disc screwed up or is something else wrong?
Old 05-19-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 222 Posts
Did you verify the image?
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/instal...ing-media.html
Old 05-19-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nothing like that ever came up. As soon as I select "Install" it jumps straight to a command prompt window. It is possible that my DVD drive screwed up the.iso image during the burning process. This drive has acted funny ever since I put it in and hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and buy a replacement.

Last edited by big e; 05-19-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-25-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a replacement DVD burner a few days ago, burned another disc, and it did the same thing. I didn't bother with it anymore after that. I found another Linux OS called Freespire that I put on my laptop an I really like it. Much better than Vista.
Old 05-26-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 299 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by big e
I bought a replacement DVD burner a few days ago, burned another disc, and it did the same thing. I didn't bother with it anymore after that. I found another Linux OS called Freespire that I put on my laptop an I really like it. Much better than Vista.
Freespire is the free version of the commercial Linspire, formally known as Lindows. It's a Debian-based version of Linux. I ran into it when I was researching various flavors of Linux to use on a home desktop.

Freespire has some nice features, like the inclusion of some proprietary freeware, making it easy to use, if not ideologically pure. It's CNR interface, which allows 1-click installation of additional software, sounded nice too.

However, I eventually decided on Linux Mint, which is a Debian-compatible Linux based on Ubuntu. Like Freespire, it's designed for the home desktop, includes some proprietary codecs and software, and has its own one-click install application. It also seems to be updated more often than Freespire, and now also supports CNR, which you download separately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint