Reload this Page >

iTunes Library help?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes Library help?

Old 05-17-08, 03:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 522 Likes on 454 Posts
iTunes Library help?

I need to start another thread because i am really getting frustrated with this iTunes Library editting song info. stuff and need a lot of help from many and all willing participants.

i've been editting song info all day.

1. isn't there a way to save my iTunes Library that it doesn't tie to my Windows Explorer folder from where i added the files?
i renamed and moved some folders around in WE and then my iTunes Library completely disappeared because i am assuming i changed the original folders that my Library was tied to so thus it disappears?

when i finish editting all my songs is there a way i can save all this newly editted info with songs in another, separate folder so in case something like this happens again i can simply upload the saved info?

i use this "export" option but it seems to just save a xml file which i don't know what that is, but it isn't the songs or anything? can't i export or save the whole thing?

2. also, how do i edit songs that are shaded and can't be editted? they are mp3's and look the same as the other songs so i am not sure why these can't and the others can.

why oh why is this so hard??

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-17-08 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-18-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
2. also, how do i edit songs that are shaded and can't be editted? they are mp3's and look the same as the other songs so i am not sure why these can't and the others can.

why oh why is this so hard??
Right-click those songs in Windows Explorer, click on properties, and those songs probably have the "read-only" box checked. Uncheck those boxes, and you should be able to edit them.
Old 05-18-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1. isn't there a way to save my iTunes Library that it doesn't tie to my Windows Explorer folder from where i added the files?
i renamed and moved some folders around in WE and then my iTunes Library completely disappeared because i am assuming i changed the original folders that my Library was tied to so thus it disappears?
If you move a file with Explorer, you are moving its location on the computer -- any program that uses that file won't know where it's gone unless you tell it.

when i finish editting all my songs is there a way i can save all this newly editted info with songs in another, separate folder so in case something like this happens again i can simply upload the saved info?
How are you editing the songs? The ID3 tags are part of the audiofile and will stay with it wherever you move it.

Your best bet is to simply move your audiofiles to a single folder and then import that into iTunes. ITunes should be able to organize it. If not, then you can edit the ID3 tags through iTunes. Once they're in iTunes, you really don't need to move them around in Explorer.

Are the shaded songs things you've moved around? If so you can't edit them because iTunes doesn't know where the files are.
Old 05-18-08, 02:21 PM

i figured out the non-edittable songs. thanks eat and Sean!

1. what i am wondering if now that i have all the songs in iTunes and editted them how i want...how can i save this entire list? so that if i delete songs down the road to make room for other songs or whatever, how can i get these songs back easily (meaning i can easily find the ones i originally deleted)? does that make sense? and if i make playlists can i save those in Windows Explorer as well?

2. how long does it normally take to download a movie purchased from iTunes store? why when i put in my "Juno" digital copy it took 2 minutes to completely download, but 4 hours to download from iTunes?

3. what does the import and export functions do? if i export library what does that mean? i want to be able to import library in case something happens. let's say my PC crashes can i save my current library on a flash drive or something and be able to download it back to iTunes library?

b) i see there is also a back-up option, but can you back up to a flash drive instead of a disc?

4. when i copy songs from cd's and stuff it goes right to my iTunes Library, it used to be it would go to Windows Explorer, so...how can i get all the songs i download to Library on Windows Explorer so i can save the music, or create CD's down the road from them?

5. can i take my editted library to a different computer so i can edit the song info. on it and then save and bring it back to home pc?

6. If i have an 8GB Nano, why does my epmty Nano say 7.41 GB free?

7. if i delete a song from my iTunes Library does it automatically delete from iPod or do i have to re-sync to delete?

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-18-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 12:14 PM

please...help...
Old 05-20-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i figured out the non-edittable songs. thanks eat and Sean!

1. what i am wondering if now that i have all the songs in iTunes and editted them how i want...how can i save this entire list? so that if i delete songs down the road to make room for other songs or whatever, how can i get these songs back easily (meaning i can easily find the ones i originally deleted)? does that make sense? and if i make playlists can i save those in Windows Explorer as well?

*Answers are as I understand iTunes

iTunes keeps 2 files called iTunes Music Library and iTunes Library they hold all that info and those are the files you need to back up to keep your tag info. your playlist is included in that info*

2. how long does it normally take to download a movie purchased from iTunes store? why when i put in my "Juno" digital copy it took 2 minutes to completely download, but 4 hours to download from iTunes?

I have never downloaded a movie but I regularly download 1 hr show 3-4 at a time and it takes about 7-15 minutes if I am doing nothing else. Too many variables can play into speed of downloads but I think if you are not on dial up that is too long

3. what does the import and export functions do? if i export library what does that mean? i want to be able to import library in case something happens. let's say my PC crashes can i save my current library on a flash drive or something and be able to download it back to iTunes library?

You answered your own question

b) i see there is also a back-up option, but can you back up to a flash drive instead of a disc?

you can back up your stuff to anything that has enough space for however big your library is (the library files are not very big at all the music folder just depends on how large and how high of quality is you collection)

4. when i copy songs from cd's and stuff it goes right to my iTunes Library, it used to be it would go to Windows Explorer, so...how can i get all the songs i download to Library on Windows Explorer so i can save the music, or create CD's down the road from them?

not sure of that one check your prefs in itunes it has an option to save music to a different location

5. can i take my editted library to a different computer so i can edit the song info. on it and then save and bring it back to home pc?

sorry don't know about that one

The OS is using a portion of your space for system files to run itself

7. if i delete a song from my iTunes Library does it automatically delete from iPod or do i have to re-sync to delete?

By default I believe yes but if you manually mange your music then it will not until you tell it to Hope that helps some.
Old 05-23-08, 04:45 PM

if i download a digital copy of a movie, why can't i download the movie to more than 1 iPod? i have it on mine, then i wanted to put it on my mom's. is there anyway to do this?
Old 05-24-08, 01:07 PM

if i download a digital copy of a movie, why can't i download the movie to more than 1 iPod? i have it on mine, then i wanted to put it on my mom's. is there anyway to do this?
anyone?

also, is it supposed to take roughly 4hrs to download a movie and 3 hours or so for a tv episode (1 hour long) from iTunes?
Old 05-24-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
According to Apple you can sync a video from iTunes to as many iPods as you want:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302758#5

What kind of error are you getting? Is it like this?
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1497?viewlocale=en_US

also, is it supposed to take roughly 4hrs to download a movie and 3 hours or so for a tv episode (1 hour long) from iTunes?
It certainly can take that long to download, depending on the speed of your connection:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302719
Old 05-24-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your mom's ipod has to be 'synced' to your computer. any ipod can only belong to one computer.

Turn on the setting to let itunes manage your files, then it copies the file into the itunes music folder and organizes it.. not all want this, i love it
Old 05-24-08, 03:53 PM

yeah, i guess i wasn't clear. sorry. i can get the movie on my mom's but then it erases all her music because she is linked to her Library on her computer. the movie is in my library on my computer. i just need to get the movie on her's and keep her music tied to her Library. you know?
Old 05-24-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, i guess i wasn't clear. sorry. i can get the movie on my mom's but then it erases all her music because she is linked to her Library on her computer. the movie is in my library on my computer. i just need to get the movie on her's and keep her music tied to her Library. you know?
Are your PC and hers on the same network? If so, you can copy the movie file from your PC to hers, authorize your account on her iTunes (you can authorize up to 5 PCs), then load the file into her iTunes library.
Old 05-24-08, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Are your PC and hers on the same network? If so, you can copy the movie file from your PC to hers, authorize your account on her iTunes (you can authorize up to 5 PCs), then load the file into her iTunes library.
no. 2 different places. i mean i copied the file to a flash card and then saved onto her PC, but it is a question of two different iTunes Library's being used. i mean i got it onto her iPod, but that deleted her songs. i just want to get the movie and her songs in the same Library and then sync to her iPod. maybe it isn't possible, but thanks all for the help.
Old 05-26-08, 04:50 PM

no. 2 different places. i mean i copied the file to a flash card and then saved onto her PC, but it is a question of two different iTunes Library's being used. i mean i got it onto her iPod, but that deleted her songs. i just want to get the movie and her songs in the same Library and then sync to her iPod. maybe it isn't possible, but thanks all for the help.
can anyone help me get the movie on 2 different libraries for 2 different iPods?
if there isn't a way that is fine, but i just find it so hard to believe that if i buy a movie with a digital download disc that i can only do it for one library/1 iPod.
Old 05-26-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

can anyone help me get the movie on 2 different libraries for 2 different iPods?
What problem are you having with adding the movie to the 2nd PC's library?
Old 05-27-08, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
What problem are you having with adding the movie to the 2nd PC's library?
it says it cannot add because it was registered to another library or something like that. and when i put the disc in it says it was already downloaded or somethign like that. i mean i purchased the movie, i can't see why i am having so much trouble putting it on another iPod.
Old 05-29-08, 06:29 PM

can anyone walk me through exactly how i can get the legally purchased movie into my mom's library so she can dl as well?
Old 05-29-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it says it cannot add because it was registered to another library or something like that. and when i put the disc in it says it was already downloaded or somethign like that. i mean i purchased the movie, i can't see why i am having so much trouble putting it on another iPod.
Welcome to the world of DRM. Basically, the movie can only be registered to one account, which is yours. Now, you can have your account on multiple PCs, up to 5 I think. However, your mom's iTunes is attached to a different account, likely one she made.

iTunes is not going to let you add the digital copy to more than one account. Sure, you purchased the DVD, and currently you have the DVD, a copy on your iTunes, and a copy on your iPod. That's 2 more copies than a traditional DVD gives you. Just because you bought the DVD doesn't mean you get unlimited copies.

You could change your mom's iTunes to be associated with your account, but she'd lose access to anything she downloaded from iTunes. If she hasn't downloaded anything yet, that might be a way to go. Otherwise, there's no way to add your movie to her iTunes or iPod with your current setup.
Old 05-29-08, 07:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 858 Likes on 608 Posts
If you already copied the "Digital Copy" to one computer, you cannot copy it to another. That's how DRM (Digital Rights Management) works. The movie and software were specifically coded that way. BUT, you should be able to copy it to another device (like your mom's ipod) from your computer (but ONLY by using iTunes if that's the version of the Digital Copy you have). When you connect the ipod to your computer, and iTunes recognizes it, you should be able to select an option that says "Manually manage my music/media". She has to do the same on her computer, otherwise the movie will get erased when she plugs it in.

I think.
Old 05-30-08, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
If you already copied the "Digital Copy" to one computer, you cannot copy it to another. That's how DRM (Digital Rights Management) works. The movie and software were specifically coded that way. BUT, you should be able to copy it to another device (like your mom's ipod) from your computer (but ONLY by using iTunes if that's the version of the Digital Copy you have). When you connect the ipod to your computer, and iTunes recognizes it, you should be able to select an option that says "Manually manage my music/media". She has to do the same on her computer, otherwise the movie will get erased when she plugs it in.

I think.
yup, it was the manual manage option that did it. thanks to everyone!!!!!
Old 05-31-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The digital copy of Juno was actually on the DVD you purchased and put in your computer. It only took two minutes because it wasn't downloading, it was just transferring from the disc to the iPod/computer. The iTunes connection was simply for iTunes to verify that you had a valid license to use the digital copy. Welcome to the wonderful world of DRM.

Downloading from the iTunes Store takes longer because you're actually transferring a large amount of data from Apple's servers to your computer via the Internet, not from a physical disc that's in your computer. The time it takes to download a movie that you've purchased from the iTunes Store will depend upon the speed of your Internet connection.

The "library" is not your collection of songs. It's a data file that tells iTunes what songs you want it to display. It's a list, in other words.

The formatting takes up some of that, plus there is some lengthy technical explanation as to why capacity is never what it says it is. Someone with more of a technical background can explain it, but it's the same reason the hard drive in your computer isn't as big as it was advertised to be.

Depends on whether you have iTunes set to auto-sync.
Old 05-31-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since computer scientists like to work in powers of 2 to make binary easier, they define a kilobyte as 2^10, which is 1048 bytes. Hard drive manufacturers, however, use a decimal kilobyte -- 1000 bytes -- to make their drives sound bigger. For every kilobyte a drive is advertised as holding, its actual capacity is 48 bytes smaller. When you get into gigabytes, the discrepancy is huge.

7 410 000 000 + (((1 024 ^3) * 8) - ((1 000 ^3) * 8)) = 7 999 934 592

The remaining ~65,000 bytes is the iPods operating system.
Old 06-01-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
a kilobyte as 2^10, which is 1048 bytes.
Old 06-01-08, 01:04 PM

thanks again guys!
Old 07-22-08, 12:28 AM

I had a quick itunes question....

Is there a way to get cover arts for certain albums? Most of mine were found, but even some common ones like Weezer's Red Album (deluxe), AC/DC Back in Black, etc.

Last edited by MrStayPuft; 07-22-08 at 12:40 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.