Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

iTunes Library help?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes Library help?

Old 07-22-08, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I download all my cd's into Windows Media Player as mp3's, and then I manually add the files in iTunes. That way, I don't have two copies of the same songs taking up space on the harddrive, and I like being able to download mp3's on my phone if I want. I haven't done it in a while, but awhile back I searched within Windows Media Player for album artwork, and I was able to copy them into artwork iTunes did not find. I think I had to change the settings in Windows Explorer to show hidden files, and then within the music folders you should find the artwork.
Old 07-22-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I had a quick itunes question....

Is there a way to get cover arts for certain albums? Most of mine were found, but even some common ones like Weezer's Red Album (deluxe), AC/DC Back in Black, etc.
Here's a program I heard about on Geekbrief last week: http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

Unfortunately, the free version only allows for cleaning 500 songs and getting 50 album covers.

The paid version is obviously unlimited and lifetime is $20. I thought it was money well spent. My collection was a bit of a mess.
Old 07-22-08, 06:56 AM

for cover art check out rateyourmusic.com. you'll need an account, but the site has a lot of quality scans - especially scans of independent records.
Old 07-22-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
I had a quick itunes question....

Is there a way to get cover arts for certain albums? Most of mine were found, but even some common ones like Weezer's Red Album (deluxe), AC/DC Back in Black, etc.
i usually go to amazon, download the cover art, open itunes, right click on all the songs for the album, open "get info", and then paste the cover art in the image section. it will ask if you want to perform this for multiple items.
Old 07-22-08, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md
i usually go to amazon, download the cover art, open itunes, right click on all the songs for the album, open "get info", and then paste the cover art in the image section. it will ask if you want to perform this for multiple items.
Awesome! Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

That tuneupmedia.com site looks helpful too, I'll look into it. Thanks for the replies!
Old 07-22-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what's the free utility that transfers songs from an ipod to itunes?
Old 11-30-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

for some reason, I can't see my artwork on the left bottom anymore. I updated to the newest version, but the only artwork option appears to be for total artwork view. any ideas?
Old 11-30-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Click the button at the lower left that looks like a square with a triangle in it.
Old 11-30-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

duh! thanks. I think I checked just about every other button.
Old 12-12-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd View Post
I download all my cd's into Windows Media Player as mp3's, and then I manually add the files in iTunes. That way, I don't have two copies of the same songs taking up space on the harddrive.
Sorry for the bump, had a few questions, had a nano for a while but finally got one with some decent space and had some noob questions.

1. Is the quoted statement true?

2. And if you import directly into itunes and then import into wmp, you will have two copies taking up double the space?

3. I know there is a option to show duplicate songs, is there a way to delete duplicate songs based on quality (lowest birate) in mass or would I have to delete them individually?

4. Is there an option to rip into itunes using 192 kbps with a variable bit rate?

5. Is it true that if when you first get an ipod if you charge for a long time, it will maximize the battery charging capacity?

6. If you unselect the option to manually manage your music and ipod (ie. have itunes automatically manage), when you plug in your ipod will it automatically detect new music that has been imported that is not on the ipod and then load and sync the new music?

Sorry I know that is a lot, but kind of a noob and really appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 12-12-08 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-12-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts
1) Not that I'm aware of. I use itunes to import cds, and it only makes one copy. If you want to import with wmp, just uncheck the option to have itunes manage your library, and you won't have two copies of anything.

2) See #1.

3) After showing duplicates, you could sort by the bitrate column.

4) Yes, it's under the options somewhere. You can set it to whatever you want.

5) I don't have any idea. I've fully charged all of my ipods when bought, and haven't had any battery problems.

6) It depends on if you are syncing everything to your ipod. If not, and you are only syncing select playlists, you'll have to make sure you have a playlist that includes new music.
Old 12-15-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
1) Not that I'm aware of. I use itunes to import cds, and it only makes one copy. If you want to import with wmp, just uncheck the option to have itunes manage your library, and you won't have two copies of anything.

2) See #1.

3) After showing duplicates, you could sort by the bitrate column.

4) Yes, it's under the options somewhere. You can set it to whatever you want.

5) I don't have any idea. I've fully charged all of my ipods when bought, and haven't had any battery problems.

6) It depends on if you are syncing everything to your ipod. If not, and you are only syncing select playlists, you'll have to make sure you have a playlist that includes new music.
Mndtrp, Thanks for the help. I found the VBR, good suggestion on the dups.

As for 6. Yeah I would want to sync everything and if it auto detects and syncs new music without putting new music in a specific playlist that would be great, does it do that or do I just have to manually drag and drop after I import new music?

7. I checked the get artwork for albums without artwork and it seems that it gets the artwork for albums that I have imported since checking that option, but is there a way to get the artwork for previous albums I've imported or do I have to do that manually?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-17-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6) If you have enough room on your ipod, sync everything to it. It will add any new music. If you manually manage your ipod, you'll have to drag and drop it yourself. If your library is too large for your ipod, and you sync automatically, you'll have to create the smart playlist that adds new music, you'll have to decide just how new you want (3 months, 1 month, whatever).

7) This, I don't know. Maybe highlighting the tracks and asking itunes to find the artwork.
Old 12-18-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mdtrp, thanks again for the help.

As for 6, I did finally get a big ipod that is currently has more space than all of library, but haven't ripped all my discs yet, so I could sync all of my library, is there a button for that? Also, good suggestion on the smart playlist.

7. good suggestion I'll try that.
Old 12-18-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When you plug in your ipod, there will be an option to sync all songs and playlists. I don't have itunes in front of me, so I can't explain it better.
Old 12-22-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I just have one more question before starting a seperate thread on bitrates and ripping, but is there a way to add a song to the "on the go" playlist while it is playing? It says hold down the center button to add it, but looks like I can only do that from the song list and not from the "now playing" section.
Old 12-22-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Here's a program I heard about on Geekbrief last week: http://www.tuneupmedia.com/

Unfortunately, the free version only allows for cleaning 500 songs and getting 50 album covers.

The paid version is obviously unlimited and lifetime is $20. I thought it was money well spent. My collection was a bit of a mess.
Funny! I read about this on google news a couple of days ago and just downloaded/ran it. I gladly forked over the 20 beans. It has fixed iTunes for me better than any other program.
Recommended.
Old 12-23-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I hook up my ipod, I see that it has about 30gb of "other files" album artwork wouldn't take up that much space would it? Anybody know what it might be and if I can get rid of it?

thanks agian for all the help.
Old 12-24-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you sure 30 gigs? I have maybe 1 gig of other files, which is operating system, games and whatnot. Unless you used your ipod as a hard disk at one point, and haven't removed all of those files.
Old 12-30-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, actually looked this morning and it's 20 gigs and I know when I first got it, I think the OS and all of that was maybe 8 gigs. So could the 12 gigs be artwork? Also, thought that they may be .mp3 files (that aren't recognized as music) or will ipod only play acc files?
Old 12-30-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 423 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
Also, thought that they may be .mp3 files (that aren't recognized as music) or will ipod only play acc files?
iPods will play mp3s. Open "My Computer" while the iPod is plugged in and use explorer to open up and view what's stored on the iPod as just data storage. It could be someone moved music files to it that way without realizing it wouldn't work.
Old 01-22-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: iTunes Library help?

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
but is there a way to add a song to the "on the go" playlist while it is playing? It says hold down the center button to add it, but looks like I can only do that from the song list and not from the "now playing" section.
Anybody on this one? Also, I know I can add it once it's in the "recently played" playlist, but how long does it take for a song to get in there and how can I sort that playlist where the just played song is at the top?

Thanks for all the other help and suggestions, I tried just looking at the ipod on explorer and couldn't find the "other" files, it just had the usual music, contacts, etc. Could there be 12gb of artwork, I have about 15,000 songs on it so far.