Reload this Page >

Best iPod for walking/jogging?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-11-08, 04:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

I am thinking of biting on my first iPod since I just got an OS that can actually accomodate the software.

I will start very soon walking/jogging around and want an iPod that is versatile, can hold the 2,000+ songs i have, and maybe one that can show movies. Because if i get one i might want one that can do other stuff too. not completely sold on that and will probably just need it for the music, but who knows.

and those 2,000 songs in MP3 format will easily upload to iPod, right?

my mom just got a Nano (4Gb) which looks small and nice. not sure what it can do or how many songs it can hold...

so what are your recommendations for a newbie with the above criteria?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-11-08 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-11-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How big an iPod you need depends on the quality of your files.

A song encoded at 128kbps comes to about 1 megabyte per minute, so if your average song is about 4 minutes, you'll need around 8 gigs for 2000 songs.

Now 128kbps is the default bit rate for most music, but it's rather low quality if you're any kind of audiophile. I wouldn't use anything lower than 192kbps and prefer 256kbps, which doubles the size of the disc you need. I have an old 4 gig Mini which is supposed to hold 1000 songs, but it only has 526 on it currently because I encode at 256.
Old 05-11-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always been a fan of multiple devices for multiple task. For
Old 05-11-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best iPod for long walks? Try the 3G iPod nano (I have the 8 GB model). Works pretty well, and unlike the iPod Classic the display features work quite well, especially Cover Flow.
Old 05-11-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
iPod shuffle. It just clips on so you don't look like one of those douchebags with the armband things.
Old 05-12-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
iPod shuffle. It just clips on so you don't look like one of those douchebags with the armband things.
second. This is what I use. I have the 60 G5 for everyday use and the shuffle for working out. It just clips on and you forget about it.
Old 05-12-08, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
but how many songs does it hold? not very many i suspect. i really want one device that holds all my songs and put them in folders and just play certain folders certain days, etc..

i have a rinky dink MP3 player that holds only about 150 songs and i got bored from it very easily as one walk would almost go through the whole line-up.
Old 05-12-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
you can get the 2gb shuffle for $69 I think. it holds roughly 500 songs. You can't put them in folders but you can order them in iTunes. I just take 5 minutes before I work out and choose what I want to hear instead of fumbling through my big ipod while on the treadmill.
Old 05-12-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
but how many songs does it hold? not very many i suspect. i really want one device that holds all my songs and put them in folders and just play certain folders certain days, etc..

i have a rinky dink MP3 player that holds only about 150 songs and i got bored from it very easily as one walk would almost go through the whole line-up.

You walk for 6 hours at a time?
Old 05-12-08, 04:08 PM

**edit**
i think i am pretty set on the iPod Nano 8GB 3rd generation.

1. that is the one to get, right?

i'll get the neoprenearm band, the leather case, and ear buds with thing that goes over ear.

a) do they make over-the-head headphones that fit iPods, that are cheap? or do iPods have the same hole that fit all earphones? that is what is most comfortable for my ears.

2. any other accessories that are mandatory?

3. a) so with a Nano, can i put all my songs in specific folders and just hit shuffle for those specific folders while the rest doesn't play at all? or does it shuffle all songs in all folders no matter what?
b) and can you see movies and videos on a Nano?
c) if i have all my music already in folders on my PC, is getting it on the iPod as easy as "drag and drop"?

4. what is the significance of the different generation #'s? how do i know which is the latest?

5. if i buy a movie from Itunes store...it downloads to my PC and then i put it on iPod, and then i can put on and remove as many times as i want right? meaning i have it on my pc always and can do what i want with it...

thanks again all.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-12-08 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-12-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

3. so with a Nano, can i put all my songs in specific folders and just hit shuffle for those specific folders while the rest doesn't play at all? or does it shuffle all songs in all folders no matter what?
iPods keep things organized by artist. Beyond that, you'd use playlists to do what you're asking.
and can you see movies and videos on a Nano?
Yes.

4. what is the significance of the different generation #'s? how do i know which is the latest?
The latest generation is just the latest model year. As with any product, that means different shapes, colors, features, etc.

It seems like you should spend some time at Apple's Web site. The nanos are here: http://www.apple.com/ipodnano
Old 05-13-08, 06:53 AM

**edit**
i think i am pretty set on the iPod Nano 8GB 3rd generation.

1. that is the one to get, right?

i'll get the neoprenearm band, the leather case, and ear buds with thing that goes over ear.

a) do they make over-the-head headphones that fit iPods, that are cheap? or do iPods have the same hole that fit all earphones? that is what is most comfortable for my ears.

2. any other accessories that are mandatory?

3. a) so with a Nano, can i put all my songs in specific folders and just hit shuffle for those specific folders while the rest doesn't play at all? or does it shuffle all songs in all folders no matter what?
b) and can you see movies and videos on a Nano?
c) if i have all my music already in folders on my PC, is getting it on the iPod as easy as "drag and drop"?

5. if i buy a movie from iTunes store...it downloads to my PC and then i put it on iPod, and then i can put on and remove as many times as i want right? meaning i have it on my pc always and can do what i want with it...

6. If I have 2,000 songs on there...how many movies/tv shows will i have room for?

thanks again all.
anyone else on all the above questions? thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-08, 08:39 AM

Ok, quick answers....

1.a) Any headphones will do. I use a pair of Shures, the apple ones, a Sony pair and a Panasonic pair. All with no problem, it should be a standard jack.

3.) All the management for the music is going to be done through the itunes software. You would set up playlists if you didn't want to shuffle through your entire library. Shuffle can be toggled on or off. So you can go straight down the line or have it jump around (this can be done to play the entire library or just for specific play lists).

You can play movies, tv shows on the Nano you are looking at (3rd gen).

For the drag and drop question... kinda and kinda not.
It depends on how you have your iPod sync with your machine. You can manually sync, which would be more like drag and drop. Or you can set it to auto sync. Auto sync is pretty awesome if you have your music in genres and have created smart playlists, it pretty much syncs every time you hook it up. You can set it to sync "songs unplayed in the last week with a 4 star or higher rating that are not country"... just as an example.

5.) In short yes. You can't however upload that movie to a different machine (without the aid of 3rd party software, that I am aware of). But you can keep it on your PC and move it on and off the iPod all day long. The copy will remain on your pc and will play in any authorized iTunes library. There is, of course, a wee bit of DRM on the purchased content.

6.) depends on how your music is encoded. But not much. Not much at all, if any. 2000 mp3s is going to eat up most if not all that room.

I hope this was clear enough, I am trying to fake an honest morning of work with this post.
8gb 3gen Nano is the way to go!
Old 05-13-08, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by notkevinbacon
Ok, quick answers....
this was perfect and exactly what i was asking for!!
thanks so much! i think i may get one today and hopefully start playing around with it tonight. it makes perfect sense now bc i have a lot of free time at work since i lost 3 of my classes and now only have 1-2 a day. i figured i would get all my music on and was hoping to have some room for a movie or two or a couple tv shows.

all my music is encoded at various rates. it is over a long period of time from different sites, cd burns, etc... i look for mostly high quality 256mb or more and tend to stay away from anything lower.

1. i think when i transferred over music from one pc to another it took up about 3-4 GB on a flash, would that translate the same in size to the iPod?

2. so any headphones would work? bc i saw my mom's nano and the port didn't seem standard. it looked smaller and thought only iPod buds or similar would work.

3. DRM?

4. will they eventually come out with a larger gig Nano? i would hate to get the 8 now and then a couple months later a 16 or something comes out...

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-13-08 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 10:47 AM

1.) Should take up the same amount of space (give or take a few megabytes).

2.) I don't have a 3rd gen nano, but I can't find anything that says normal headphones won't work. FWIW, the default buds that come with the iPod work in all standard jacks. The iPhone did have a weird, recessed headphone jack that did not work with standard headphones without a 3rd party connector. Again, I don't think this is an issue with any other model of iPod.

3.) Digital Rights Management = Copy protection. There is a lot of discussion that could be had on this subject... but...

Essentially, it limits your ability to share the file or trade the file. Every purchase you make from the iTunes store will only work on authorized iTunes accounts (I believe you can authorize around 5 machines). There is DRM on most all music services, anything that's subscription, Zune store, Apple, etc. There are certain artists that are DRM free on iTunes and Amazon Unbox. Again, this only applies to things bought from the iTunes store and notably video. You can remove the DRM protection from songs by burning them to a cd then re-ripping the song into your library (the analog hole, as it's known).

4.) They certainly will come out with a new one. Usually, the new iPods come out around the September - October time. Probably, just a size bump as you suggested. 8gb -> 16gb... It's not a guarantee, if it's one thing Apple likes to do it's to keep secrets. The new iPhone will be out in June or July (most likely)... they probably won't refresh iPods at that time.
Old 05-13-08, 11:40 AM

thanks for all nkb.
so with the iTunes file system. i just make folders/playlists from my existing PC's music files by dragging the files from PC to iTunes folders right? and then upload to iPod? or at least all thlained once i upload the iPod files to my PC? and all the files i need to get started are on the iPod right? there is no boot-up disc or anything like that...
Old 05-13-08, 01:13 PM

There is no boot disk, but you will need the iTunes software.

I'd suggest downloading it and trying the software out... judging by how it sounds to me, the way you are going to manage music in itunes is a lot different then how you may be doing it now. Essentially, you will never be looking at the folder structure or any of that, you will just use the iTunes interface (which btw, will automatically organize all your music "behind the scenes" in the "iTunes Music" folder... you may want to make sure this is unticked if you don't want iTunes messing with your folders)

When you hook up your iPod it shows up right there in iTunes.

This was the most difficult thing for me to adjust to at first, but now I can't image dealing with my media files in anyother way.

So, maybe test drive the software? Import a few albums... check it out?
Old 05-13-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
if you go with a nano.. you can make it intereactive with your run

http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
http://nikeplus.nike.com/nikeplus/
Old 05-13-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the ipod schuffle..... it clicks on my t shirt for the gym and i am good for 5 hours.....

even though i am at the gym only two.... its good enough and cheap
Old 05-13-08, 03:57 PM

I got it!!!

just got a nice ice blue Nano. very excited. also got the Belkin clear hard case and iPod arm band.
1. is this a good case for protection? i always have to get some kind of case with my gadgets, cell phone, etc.. but sometimes 3rd party products have incidental bad effects.

now to turn this thread into a newbie thread...

2. can i keep my iPod connected with the cable to my PC all the time? meaning if i am not using it can i just leave it plugged in while the PC is on? or is this bad?

3. how do i delete songs that are on my iPod? i synced a bunch of songs just as a test, but now i want them off the iPod and i can't seem to figure that out.

**4. with all my music files 2,000+ on my PC, what is the best, most organized way to get it on my iPod? ie: do i create playlists in iTunes by adding files to them and then when all done sync to iPod? won't that take like hours?**

more questions to come, hope you are all patient and ready...
tia.

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-13-08 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I myself project my iPod nano with the Speck Products ToughSkin case, since it comes with a belt clip for the case.
Old 05-14-08, 07:18 AM

just got a nice ice blue Nano. very excited. also got the Belkin clear hard case and iPod arm band.
1. is this a good case for protection? i always have to get some kind of case with my gadgets, cell phone, etc.. but sometimes 3rd party products have incidental bad effects.

now to turn this thread into a newbie thread...

2. can i keep my iPod connected with the cable to my PC all the time? meaning if i am not using it can i just leave it plugged in while the PC is on? or is this bad?

3. how do i delete songs that are on my iPod? i synced a bunch of songs just as a test, but now i want them off the iPod and i can't seem to figure that out.

**4. with all my music files 2,000+ on my PC, what is the best, most organized way to get it on my iPod? ie: do i create playlists in iTunes by adding files to them and then when all done sync to iPod? won't that take like hours?**

more questions to come, hope you are all patient and ready...
tia.
anyone on the above?
Old 05-14-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Not sure if it's a good case or not, but if it's just a clear plastic case I'm sure it's fine.

2. You probably can keep it connected the whole time, but I wouldn't. The nano can go a fairly long time between charges, so just hook it up whenever you need to sync or charge.

3. You can't delete or alter anything on the iPod from the iPod; you make the changes in iTunes. Since the iPod library mirrors/syncs what you have in your iTunes library, just delete the song from iTunes or set your iPod to only sync checked songs and then uncheck the songs you don't want to sync.

4. If the ID3 tags on your songs weren't already organized, you're going to have to go in and edit the properties for each song to get them to show up right. You can select several songs at once for easily editing the artwork, artist and album of multiple items, which makes it a little easier, but you do have some work ahead of you. It's not fun, but you only have to do it once. When you add new songs, just remember to set the tags correctly and shouldn't have any problems. There might be some software that can read the album and the artist from the file's name (if it's there), which might make things a little easier, but otherwise you're going to have to do it manually. Someone else might have a better trick to make this easier.
Old 05-14-08, 08:54 AM

1.) I have no experience with the Belkin case you have, but I have had a few of their cases before and they all seemed pretty solid. The iPod is a lot more durable than it may look... but for outdoor usage I'd just make sure that it's somewhat water resistance and drop resistant. I have dropped my iPods in puddles and flung them all over the place with no issues, but I am probably lucky (or unlucky... if it breaks than I have to buy a new one right??)

2.) I know lots of people who do this... it's not bad, but the iPod will be drawing a charge the whole time. You should be fine, I have an iPod hooked up to my stereo system... so it's docked most of the time (charging). I have no problems with it.

3. How are you set up to sync? Manually? Or automatic?
- If it's manual.... when you dock the iPod and see it in itunes sidebar, just browse through it (like you would do normally in iTunes). You can just delete them from the iPod (right click remove/delete, or I think "delete" alone will do... Sorry, I am on a Mac so my iTunes on Windows it a little rusty)
- If auto syncing... it will match whatever you have it set up to match. You have to alter the playlists in iTunes and on the next sync it will be identical to your desired playlist in itunes. You can't manually remove content when it's auto syncing.

4.) If you are talking about the sync time...no it shouldn't take very long. The first sync may take a few minutes, but it should be snappy after that. There are a lot of ways to manage the music...

I have my Nano set up to manual sync. This is my main player. I keep a solid collection of albums and songs I love on it and use it for podcasts. I just put what I want on there and that's it.

For my other iPod (30gb) I have this set up to auto sync with specific playlists.

The trick is to get your music all tagged (Genre, Grouping, Star ratings, etc). Then setting up Smart Playlists to create ultimate groupings of music. Have you checked out the smart playlists yet? A lot of people don't seem to use the feature, but I think it's worth looking in to, but it's really only effective if you have your music sorted into genres (at the least).

Here's a brief overview
http://www.43folders.com/2006/11/10/...s-for-packrats
Old 05-14-08, 12:48 PM

ok, so if you could walk me through step by step the best way to get my files onto my iPod with the best organization possible...

i was just browsing around yesterday and it seemed a little tedious because i was "adding a file to library" option.

do i organize my files first in Windows or should i just upload all music to iTunes and then work from there? once they are there can i just drag and drop to specific playlists or something?

also, can you stop a sync in mid-sync? meaning stop it in the middle of the process if you don't want them uploaded?

also, the only way i was able to delete files off my iPod was to unplug the iPod from the PC and then delete the "My Library" file in Windows. is this the only way to do it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.