Reload this Page >

Getting a Second Graphics Card

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-03-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a new HP Desktop computer around November last year, I bought it so I could connect my PC to my TV via VGA cables and watch some .avi's on it. (home videos, of course) but this PC has a graphics card that doesn't allow me to hook up my TV, my monitor works flawlessly with a VGA setup but the TV is just black. Tried different cords, not the problem. How much would it run me and where would I go to get a second graphics card put in my computer? If that is even possible... I'm not very tech savvy.
Old 05-04-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 203 Posts
Most desktop PCs come with integrated graphics nowadays, so there's probably no video card currently installed in your PC. Check Hewlet Packard's website to get the specs for your model PC, you can find out what ports it has free that you can attach a video card to. Depending on how powerful a card you want, it will cost you anywhere from $20-$800.

However, have you tried everything with the current VGA adapter? Odds are your TV can only accept certain resolutions, so make sure you set the resolution correctly on your PC.
Old 05-05-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
If your TV accepts a VGA input same as your monitor, you may have to reboot before it takes effect. This would be similar to what happens when I plug my PC into a small LCD TV via S-video. For some reason it won't work until I reboot, then the PC recognizes the new external device plugged into it.