Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you find DRM free music on iTunes?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-23-08, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says it all.

There is a particular album I would like to download, but it is not available on Amazon.com. It is available on iTunes, but since I don't have an iPod I would only purchase it if it was free of DRM.

So, how can you tell if a song/album is DRM free on iTunes?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Old 04-23-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just buy a CD

no matter what format comes in the future, you will be able to rip it as long as optical drives read CD's
Old 04-23-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, you should click the album and it should indicate if it's itunes plus which is drm free.
Old 04-28-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts
Ummm..... if one doesn't have an iPod, why would they want to mess with iTunes. There are many, many other places to download tunes that are less expensive and aren't AAC or DRMed other than Apple.

I'm not trying to be snippy or threadcrap. I've had MP3 players for a long, long time and have never been attracted to Apple's product line. I'm honestly trying to understand why one would go there (iTunes) if they didn't have to.
Old 04-28-08, 07:12 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would one use iTunes?

1. iTunes is probably the easiest way to manage MP3s. Sure, people use iTunes because they buy iPods, but people also buy iPods because they like iTunes.

2. As for the OP, he wants to download the CD and it is available in iTunes while not available in amazon. Given that the iTunes Store is the number one music vendor in the U.S.A., chances are you will find more music there than anywhere else on the Internet for downloads.

Mookysdad, if you tell us which album you're looking for, maybe we can help?
Old 04-28-08, 08:33 PM

If you go into the iTunes store then click music then on the right hand side it should say iTunes Plus and that will take you to the DRM free section of the store. Or you could just do it the easier way and just do a search on iTunes for the album
Old 04-28-08, 10:29 PM

Thanks for the responses.

To be honest, I don't purchase much music online, and when I do it is from amazon.com.

I thought if iTunes was selling a song that was free of DRM, it would have the option of downloading it in mp3 format, but I'm now guessing that is incorrect.

Besides amazon.com and iTunes, where can I purchase music that is DRM free that doesn't require a subspricption?

Thanks,

Sean
Old 04-28-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
Why would one use iTunes?

1. iTunes is probably the easiest way to manage MP3s. Sure, people use iTunes because they buy iPods, but people also buy iPods because they like iTunes.

2. As for the OP, he wants to download the CD and it is available in iTunes while not available in amazon. Given that the iTunes Store is the number one music vendor in the U.S.A., chances are you will find more music there than anywhere else on the Internet for downloads.
Okey dokey. I just figured Apple had brilliantly found another way to separate people from their cash by tightly integrating their online store with their players, but that non-Apple folks would only be drawn there by the "gimmick" of giving their money to Apple for a "cool" looking product/interface.

Sorry to come across as a hater, I really don't "get" the Apple appeal. Thanks for the 10-43.
Old 04-28-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Okey dokey. I just figured Apple had brilliantly found another way to separate people from their cash by tightly integrating their online store with their players, but that non-Apple folks would only be drawn there by the "gimmick" of giving their money to Apple for a "cool" looking product/interface.

Sorry to come across as a hater, I really don't "get" the Apple appeal. Thanks for the 10-43.
I don't get it either. I refuse to buy content with DRM unless there is absolutely no choice. For CDs, I just buy the CD and rip it. Only takes a few minutes and I have a hard physical backup to store in the closet.

I've spent over an hour trying to get my wife's iTunes tracks working from her old PC yesterday. I emailed iTunes support today. They keep prompting for authorization. Ugh. I swear I'm going to use illicit methods to un-DRM them so I don't have to do this again. I thought I taught her better than to buy DRM protected stuff.
Old 04-29-08, 03:07 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I refuse to buy content with DRM unless there is absolutely no choice.
Ditto that. I rarely buy music to download, but when I do, I only buy MP3s with no DRM. I really like amazon.com's service. I bought two albums this month:

Tristan Prettyman's Hello & t w e n t y t h r e e.

Both albums were encoded with LAME 3.97 at 256 kbps VBR. That's pretty awesome for downloads.
Old 04-29-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mookysdad
Thanks for the responses.

To be honest, I don't purchase much music online, and when I do it is from amazon.com.

I thought if iTunes was selling a song that was free of DRM, it would have the option of downloading it in mp3 format, but I'm now guessing that is incorrect.

Besides amazon.com and iTunes, where can I purchase music that is DRM free that doesn't require a subspricption?

Thanks,

Sean
try ebay and there is a used CD store on the internet but i can't post the name because i think it's against the rules.

just google for used CD's, DVD's or whatever. or just google the album name and it should tell you who carries it
Old 04-30-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
people also buy iPods because they like iTunes.
Bwah? Who are these people that "like iTunes"? Because almost every Windows user I know hates iTunes.
Old 04-30-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Bwah? Who are these people that "like iTunes"? Because almost every Windows user I know hates iTunes.

I'm a windows user. I dislike Apple for the most part, Hate Macs, but love itunes (the program) and have now had 3 IPods between myself and my wife. We've only bought maybe one or two albums through the Itunes store when she couldn't find them elsewhere, but for the most part, I don't buy stuff from them. I did spend many many MANY weekends ripping all my cd's into it..but that's another story.
Old 04-30-08, 03:37 PM
Stealth Moderator

Really? What do they use? iTunes is so much easier to use than Windows Media Player, Music Match, or Winamp. And so much better. But to each his own, I guess.
Old 04-30-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't like iTunes much. I've been playing with the new build of Winamp. It seems OK so far. I'm not in high need of organizational tools for my mp3s.
Old 04-30-08, 08:40 PM

Funny, because almost every iTunes user I know hates Windows.

Old 04-30-08, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I don't get it either. I refuse to buy content with DRM unless there is absolutely no choice. For CDs, I just buy the CD and rip it. Only takes a few minutes and I have a hard physical backup to store in the closet.

I've spent over an hour trying to get my wife's iTunes tracks working from her old PC yesterday. I emailed iTunes support today. They keep prompting for authorization. Ugh. I swear I'm going to use illicit methods to un-DRM them so I don't have to do this again. I thought I taught her better than to buy DRM protected stuff.
Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with just downloading them off torrent sites or something and then importing them. After all, you already paid for them.

That's what I did when I switched computers and Napster wouldn't allow me to import or redownload some songs I bought because they "expired." Whatever the hell that meant.