Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Some Web Hosting / Virtual Server Hosting Alternatives

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-13-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone have some good info on RELIABLE hosters? Seems like it's hard to find them. I'm looking for a new hoster and possibly upgrading to a virtual server. Anyone with IT knowledge and experience know of any good companies to use?
Old 04-13-08, 10:35 PM

It really depends on what you're doing with your site. Especially stuff like what scripts you'll be using, and how much traffic you expect.

I often recommend Dreamhost. They have a bad reputation from a few years ago when they oversold. But for the past two years they've been really steady. There have been a few periods when they've been down for a couple hours, but they're pretty reliable these days. Their plans offer so much bandwidth and disc space that you never have to worry about it. The only time you'll get tripped up is if you pound the database resources (like with multiple blogs or wikis). But they also offer some virtual plans and private servers for stuff like that.

I'd also recommend you check out the adult webmaster boards (if you want some links, let me know). The hosts that pander to the adult webmasters really know what they're doing. It's all about getting the page up instantly and handling millions of hits. Dreamhost has been pretty good with that. I've had some static video gallery pages on Dreamhost that took 300,000+ unique hits and 4-5 GB in a single day without a hiccup. That's just a single page with a few video clips getting drilled over and over again. Between all my Dreamhost sites, I tend to average about 500-800 GB a month. But my plan's limit is around 8+ TB, so it's not a problem.

You also might want to check out basic hosting at YellowFiber.com and their servers at yfvps.com. The guy that runs both does some adult thumbnail sites. Those scripts can really nail the database. So he knows what he's doing. I've got a few blogs and adult sites there, and he's always available to help out whenever I have problems.

If you want to PM me, I can give you some NSFW links to pages & blogs I have on Dreamhost and YellowFiber so you can test the response times.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 04-13-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have to take the position to NOT go with Dreamhost. I've had Dreamhost for a couple of years now and to me, they seem to have been getting worse. I'm looking to ditch them when my contract expires and find someone else.

This past year was the worse with quite a bit of downtime, a couple of times lasting more than a day. I also got a notice that they were charging my card for some bogus reason, even though I had already paid for the entire year up front. Had to go through the hassle of making sure they got that charge reversed before I had to take it up with my credit card company.

I agree that they provide a lot of bandwidth and storage space. But if you are at all concerned about maintaining uptime, they have a pretty poor track record from my experience.
Old 04-14-08, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Gambit
This past year was the worse with quite a bit of downtime, a couple of times lasting more than a day. I also got a notice that they were charging my card for some bogus reason, even though I had already paid for the entire year up front. Had to go through the hassle of making sure they got that charge reversed before I had to take it up with my credit card company.
Yeah, Dreamhost had a MAJOR multi-million dollar screwup a few months ago with their system accidentally overbilling some customers. It happened to me, but they refunded quickly. Luckily I had the funds in my account to cover it. That was definitely bad news on all levels.

But I haven't had much problem with their downtimes. Their customer service has improved so much over the past couple years. And they no longer oversell their servers. Aside from that momentary nightmare, they really deserve a second chance. They're not the greatest host. But it's a good place for a basic site, or if you just need a place to burn a crapload of bandwidth.

But it really depends on what you need from a host. Fill us in on what you're doing, and maybe we can recommend some better providers.
Old 04-14-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been with http://www.dixiesys.com/ for 6 years and have zero complaints. The price is right if you don't need your hand held. The big question is what do you need in a host.
Old 04-15-08, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the info so far. I'm looking for something that will provide up to 1GB of files, and under 50GB of bandwidth per month. I don't have an adult site. I'll also be running a forum which uses one MySQL 4+ database.
Old 04-16-08, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Netfronts for my websites. Been with them for 5 years, no problems at all. They have plans that might be what you are looking for: http://netfronts.com/hostservices/buynow.htm