Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Winamp

Old 04-02-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Winamp

So I haven't used winamp in forever. I just downloaded the latest version to use as a external player for my HTPC app. They seem to have made a major update to how they handle podcast. Before it was chaos. Now there is order. Now you can download podcast and not just stream them. It also looks like you can now sync with most mp3 players.

TV shows seems to run better now. Before it was useless but now it plays as good a netflix stream does.

I was going install itunes for podcasts but maybe not now. I still need to back up my computer before installing itunes. I hear it isn't very clean.
Old 04-02-08, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WinAmp

I've been using every incarnation of it for years, ever since the 2.0 days.
Old 04-02-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure it still really whips the llama's ass, but I seem to use it pretty rarely now that I have MediaMonkey.

das
Old 04-02-08, 09:24 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Everytime I load this there's a new update, and you have to go to their website to do it. And it's always a "HUGE SECURITY LOOPHOLE OOPS OUR BAD" type of update.
Old 04-02-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'm sure it still really whips the llama's ass, but I seem to use it pretty rarely now that I have MediaMonkey.

das
I was looking to to replace MediaMonkey because I couldn't figure out why it was phoning home even when it wasn't on. I'm pretty sure it wasn't important, probably usage stats or something. Also I thought the way they did playlist was overly difficult. Other than those two things it was great. Oh yeah and visualization always crashes on me.

The latest winamp might be a little bloated if all you want is a music player. It also has a little ad in the center of it that I find slightly annoying.
Old 04-02-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winamp is a big, complicated program (unlike something like Foobar2000) but it's damned good. A few drawbacks:
- on the default settings, it completely colonizes your computer (you can fix this with settings)
- the included MP3 ripper is deliberately hobbled, you need another program
- Winamp Remote doesn't work that well and Winamp Agent is just annoying.

Having said that, the library/archiving, podcast handling, syncing, interface etc are all top notch right out of the box. Can't really argue as it's free.
Old 04-02-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
WinAmp

I've been using every incarnation of it for years, ever since the 2.0 days.
I started using winamp back with version .97beta:

Winamp releases used to be huge back in the old IRC days. Hundreds of people would camp in #winamp until "it was up". Those were good times.

Nowadays the constant "We found a buffer overrun which a hacker can use to exploit your computer" updates have turned me off quite a bit to the program, but it's still my main mp3 player. Pretty amazing to be saying that 11 years later. Glad the guys made some money off it, and I'm glad they kept it free.
Old 04-02-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I was looking to to replace MediaMonkey because I couldn't figure out why it was phoning home even when it wasn't on. I'm pretty sure it wasn't important, probably usage stats or something. Also I thought the way they did playlist was overly difficult. Other than those two things it was great. Oh yeah and visualization always crashes on me.
I can see how playlists would be overly difficult. MM is designed with the power user keen on scripting in mind, so some basic functions may seem a tad overdone. What I love about it is how easy it is for a script to tap into nearly every aspect of its functionality. With a little effort, the configuration power is virtually limitless, and I've never had any interest in visualizations. For users who just want a simple audio player, though, it's definitely overkill.

I still have much love for Winamp. In its day, it was such a revolution. I remember when it was "WinAMP" in the 0.9xbeta days. And oh, the horrors of Winamp3.

das
Old 04-03-08, 03:18 PM
lxl

I started using WinAMP when it did not even support skin (and I always hate its default UI).

Then I switched to foobar2000 and never come back.