DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   My MyBook HD died - anything I can do? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/528193-my-mybook-hd-died-anything-i-can-do.html)

A-aron 03-26-08 06:16 PM

My MyBook HD died - anything I can do?

on the very last day of warranty, my 250GB died. Anyone know any way I can recover the data before shipping it off?

TheKobra 03-26-08 07:32 PM

What is it worth to you? Would you pay $89.00 to recover your data? If so, the is the best software I have found to date: http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm I had a drive die on me and it would not even boot or read the disk. SpinRite corrected the problem and I was able to recover all of my data. It will be the best $89.00 you have ever spent. If it does not work...Just email them with your key code and they will refund your money. But again...it will work!

A-aron 03-26-08 07:47 PM

But wouldn't the external HD have to at least power up? None of the lights are coming on, and I even tried my other MB power supply.

bahgee 03-26-08 08:19 PM

This is not really an answer, but I wanted to know how long you had the drive and did you use it frequently, for example everyday, for it to just die.

TheKobra 03-26-08 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
But wouldn't the external HD have to at least power up? None of the lights are coming on, and I even tried my other MB power supply.

Did you take it out of the case and connect it to and IDE or SATA (and power)? If not, try that and if it does not power up you are SOL.

A-aron 03-27-08 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by bahgee
This is not really an answer, but I wanted to know how long you had the drive and did you use it frequently, for example everyday, for it to just die.

I had the drive about 4 or 5 months .. Infrequent usage (mostly used to keep backups and old files)

bahgee 03-27-08 07:55 AM

Wow, that was fast. Hopefully its just a power supply issue and your data is still there.

A-aron 03-27-08 08:34 AM

Sad thing is that I have another MyBook and I tried hooking that power supply up to it and it still didn't power up .. So it looks like it is a lost cause.

cajun_junky 03-27-08 11:03 AM

Sad thing is that I have another MyBook and I tried hooking that power supply up to it and it still didn't power up .. So it looks like it is a lost cause.

Did you just switch the power cord or actually switch drives? It could be a problem with the circuit board inside the MyBook and not the power cord or hard drive.

twikoff 03-27-08 11:44 AM

I had the drive about 4 or 5 months .. Infrequent usage (mostly used to keep backups and old files)

4 or 5 months = last day of warranty? :hscratch:

TheKobra 03-27-08 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
Wow, that was fast. Hopefully its just a power supply issue and your data is still there.

My first one only lasted about 7 months and WD replaced it with a 320mb version. I was able to pull the drive out of the case (broke the case) and used SpinRite to recover the data.

ChiTownAbs, Inc 03-27-08 03:17 PM

I bought my first MyBook around September 2006 and it just bricked on me.

bahgee 03-28-08 12:32 PM

Wow, this thread is making me nervous. Are these drives that unreliable? I've had a Seagate 200MB for approx 3 years now and use it only to back up data; I don't run anything off it, but have been thinking about getting a larger drive. I'm not so sure now.

MartinBlank 03-28-08 03:06 PM

Anyone know any way I can recover the data before shipping it off?

Don't want them finding all your pr0n, eh? ;)

Seriously, how long has these drives been in existence? I've always thought they'd be sweet for music storage, but not if the die after a year or so.

Mopower 03-28-08 03:09 PM

I hope they are reliable. I just bought a 750gb MyBook. Streams all my content to my TV from it. I'd shit bricks if it well bricked.

A-aron 03-28-08 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
4 or 5 months = last day of warranty? :hscratch:

maybe it has been closer to 6 months .. either way, the CSR said it was the last day of warranty, not me.

As for what is on it .. yeah, all my pron was there. Some of my ripped media. Nothing that I don't think I can find again, just a PITA to do it.

ravan 03-31-08 01:31 AM

what someone said. take the drive out of the mybook casing and hook it up directly to the computer..

tbird2340 03-31-08 07:10 AM

maybe it has been closer to 6 months .. either way, the CSR said it was the last day of warranty, not me.

As for what is on it .. yeah, all my pron was there. Some of my ripped media. Nothing that I don't think I can find again, just a PITA to do it.

Dude, a CSR says it was the last day of warranty and you just believe him? Don't you have your receipt? Those drives have a 1 year warranty as I just DIDN'T buy one for that reason.

The Seagate FreeAgent that I did get (cheaper too) has a 5 year warranty. No brainer really..

This is direct off their site.. You have at LEAST a one year warranty:

http://shup.com/Shup/33142/108231893...typolicch4.jpg

Oh, and DO NOT remove the drive from the housing as that will void your warranty.. You are still under warranty you just got a retarded CSR.. If this was over a year and you were out, then yea, I would suggest opening it up too.

DieselsDen 04-01-08 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I hope they are reliable. I just bought a 750gb MyBook. Streams all my content to my TV from it. I'd shit bricks if it well bricked.

I had a Seagate Free Agent 750 Gig HD for storing my music library (1000 CDs, uncompressed) and several family photos and videos. Six months later the unit dies on me. Since I got it second hand from a friend, I didn't have receipt or proof of purchase. I was quoted a price of $3000 in which to salvage the date.

I was told by my computer tech guy at work that these external drives do have a high failure rate, so backing up is absolutely necessary.

tbird2340 04-01-08 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
I had a Seagate Free Agent 750 Gig HD for storing my music library (1000 CDs, uncompressed) and several family photos and videos. Six months later the unit dies on me. Since I got it second hand from a friend, I didn't have receipt or proof of purchase. I was quoted a price of $3000 in which to salvage the date.

I was told by my computer tech guy at work that these external drives do have a high failure rate, so backing up is absolutely necessary.

The drives themselves are no different then the ones in PC's.. They are just in a n enclosure. If the enclosure is well ventilated then I can't see them having higher failure rates then a desktop PC..

HDD's and other hardware sometimes just die with no rhyme or reason.. That's just the way it is.

Michael Corvin 04-01-08 03:34 PM

I had a 500GB MyBook that died about 1 month out of warranty in Jan. :mad: P.O.S. I didn't even use it all that often.

JANK 04-05-08 11:30 AM

So what is the general opinion of the WD My Books?

Some of the Amazon reviews are really bad.

It seems I should think twice before I get a new 750gb that I have been eyeing.

vdc530 04-05-08 04:45 PM

I have one and its been working fine for me for a year and a half now (250 GB) but my friends 500 Gb failed about a month ago.

Mopower 04-05-08 05:29 PM

Are you suppose to keep MyBooks upright or horizontal? It seems like horizontal would be better for cooling but all the pictures of them show them upright. Mine is upright and I hardly feel any heat coming from it when it's in use.

TheKobra 04-06-08 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Are you suppose to keep MyBooks upright or horizontal? It seems like horizontal would be better for cooling but all the pictures of them show them upright. Mine is upright and I hardly feel any heat coming from it when it's in use.

It is suggested that you have it upright. But as long as you don't move it while it is writhing to the drive you can have it laying down if you like.