Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My MyBook HD died - anything I can do?

Old 04-07-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is it a fair assumption or misconception that WD has quality control issues?

Or is it a basic design problem?
Old 04-07-08, 08:30 AM

I've had mixed results (unfortunately, more for the worst). My USB-powered one (120GB?) would start to read/write but eventually "timeout" (for lack of a better word) and just stop all data transfer after a few minutes. Exchanged it for a 320GB AC-powered version which worked fine for about 3 weeks before just never being recognized (on any of my systems - possibly a loose connection). For some reason I gave them another chance and got the premium 1TB (500GB x 2) about 9 (?) months ago. Rather than risking 'all my eggs in one basket' with the bad luck I had before, I have it set up as a 500GB drive and it backing up to the 2nd drive - working great so far though. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews, but I like the 1TB version as it is user serviceable I believe.
Old 04-07-08, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by JANK
So what is the general opinion of the WD My Books?

Some of the Amazon reviews are really bad.

It seems I should think twice before I get a new 750gb that I have been eyeing.
I considered the My Books shortly after they first came out but those Amazon reviews steered my away. I think they have different lines, Home, Essential, etc - marked by the number of blue rings(?). Anyway, I ended up getting the 2.5" form factor SimpleTechs. I have three of varying sizes and am I very pleased with them. The bigger and cheaper 3.5" require an AC adapter but they 2.5" ones are powered directly by the USB port, which I like for my laptop.

Elsewhere here, someone suggested checking the warranty length and that's how I decided on the SimpleTech. It came with a 3 year (2.5") vs 1 year warranty which is more common for the B&M options. Even if I don't avail myself of the warranty, it's good to know that the company is standing behind their product. (And they come in colors!)
Old 04-07-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm so now that my confidence in WD is shot, I need to find a reputable >750gb external drive that is < $200. I am not too crazy about Seagate either.

These 2 were or are the top hard disk manufacturers as far as I know.

Last edited by JANK; 04-07-08 at 02:28 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 04-07-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have 3 of the MyBooks and have not had any problems. I have used my 250G for heavily for over 1.5 years. The 500G has been used moderately for about a year.

I suspect that all external hard drives have higher failure rates because they are moved much more than a drive inside a computer case. Heat can also be an issue but mine have never felt hot.