Reload this Page >

Palm Centro is AWESOME.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Palm Centro is AWESOME.

Old 03-18-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Palm Centro is AWESOME.

I ended up with a free phone instead of the Centro for $100 because I thought the Centro would be too bulky. I broke down three months later and bought one for $270 off eBay. The first thing that struck me when I got it was how TINY it was. It fits in the palm of my hand. The screen is great. It's adequate for surfing although no phone will ever equal a real computer. What I love is that yesterday I went from messages to email to IM without losing any content - I would continue the conversations where I left off. While you are using the phone you can use all the other phone functions, i.e. look for information on a website. The pictures are adequate and it has a video recorder. I've had a smartphone before (WM-based) and this one is a lot faster and easier to use. I have never been so in love with a phone in my life - it is hands down the best phone I've had since I first got a phone in December 2001 (and I've had quite a few).

If you're looking for a Smartphone, or you're think about the Centro, GET IT. I wasn't able to do a full charge yesterday before I got to work and it still lasted for the 9-hour work-shift with fairly frequent use. That's not even with an extended battery. Definitely A+.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-18-08 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks pretty similar to the blackberry, which is what I have. Ever use that?
Old 03-18-08, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, because I never wanted to pay for the data plan.

I have the Sprint SERO Plan - $30 for 500 minutes, free nights and weekends, 7p nights, 7a mornings (a lot of carriers have 6a mornings), unlimited web, unlimited messaging, and free M2M (although everyone I know is on Cingular, which is from where we moved). At Cingular I was also paying $30 but for 550 shared minutes / 2, no web, no messaging, 9p nights and 6a mornings.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 03-18-08 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the Centro, unfortunately it's based on the six-year-old PalmOS 5. Most of the features of that phone (Bluetooth, wifi, 3G) are basically hacks. The OS can't multi-task. If it was a newer version of PalmOS (if that ever sees the light of day) or even Windows Mobile *shudder*, I'd have been all over it.

I ended up with a Nokia N95, instead. AWESOME phone! )

The Spring SERO deal can't be beat, though.
Old 03-18-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked theh N95 however I don't think it's compatible with Sprint, and I'm keeping Sprint until something better comes along (if it ever does). And it's around $500 without contract (which I would have paid if it was compatible with Sprint).
Old 03-20-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got a WM based Treo 750 and I have to say it's way better than the other WM devices I've used (8125 and a few others). I was interested in the Centro for AT&T until I read about what it's lacking. For me, the Treo 750 is working out great especially now that I found a free program to sync with my Mac's calendar and address book; Syncmate.
Old 03-20-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had an 8125 and it sucked. What's the Centro lacking?
Old 03-20-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I liked theh N95 however I don't think it's compatible with Sprint, and I'm keeping Sprint until something better comes along (if it ever does). And it's around $500 without contract (which I would have paid if it was compatible with Sprint).
You're right, the N95 (and nearly every other Nokia) is GSM, Sprint uses CDMA. I forgot to mention I'm with AT&T but was out of contract and strongly considering jumping ship for the SERO deal but the phones weren't to my liking.
Old 03-20-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plan before phone, plan before phone...
Old 03-21-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have to give thumbs up to my HTC mogul.
Had it for 2 weeks now and i love it, especially when the new ROM came out last week.
It took alot of tweaking though to get it the way i want.
The nice thing about it is that there is a huge community of users that create sofware for it.
Old 03-21-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I had an 8125 and it sucked. What's the Centro lacking?
Well the AT&T version at least lacks 3G, voice dialing over Bluetooth, and numerous Bluetooth profiles. As pointed out before, the OS can't do true multi tasking which may be an issue for some. Some of these issues aren't on the Sprint version from what I hear though.
The 750 is great though, Palms little tweaks to Windows mobile make it so much easier to use. I had the chance to play with a friend's Palm OS Treo and a number of the features work exactly the same despite the OS difference which is great.