Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need laptop recommendations as per certain requirements. Please help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-18-08, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone-

I was hoping some of the tech gurus in here could help me out. My wife and I will be traveling soon and I'm going to need a laptop to bring with me. I need it to be as inexpensive as humanly possible, but, at the same time, I don't want to throw money away on a complete piece of junk.

It can be pretty bare bones, too. Here's what I need, at a minimum:

(1) wireless internet
(2) enough memory to run MS Office
(3) enough memory to access my office via GoToMyPC

As for #2, even though my job uses MS Office, I have absolutely no problem installing OpenOffice.org, so I certainly don't need to spend the extra cash to have MS Office pre-installed.

That's pretty much it. It will basically just be a way to do work while on vacation or away from home/work. Installing/running things like iTunes or photo software would be nice, but not necessary.

Any advice?
Old 03-19-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Doesn't really seem like you need anything special. Almost any new laptop will do what you need.

Although I just switched to a MacBook, my HP DV2415 that I bought last year for $650 is quite capable to do what you want (AMDx2, 2gb ram, 160gb HD, 14" screen). So laptops in that price range would suit you, just avoid Acer and Gateway and you should be golden. Also, most laptops in the lower price range only come with 1gb of memory and since they all run Vista now I would make sure to pick up a an additional 1gb of memory.
Old 03-19-08, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Doesn't really seem like you need anything special. Almost any new laptop will do what you need.

Although I just switched to a MacBook, my HP DV2415 that I bought last year for $650 is quite capable to do what you want (AMDx2, 2gb ram, 160gb HD, 14" screen). So laptops in that price range would suit you, just avoid Acer and Gateway and you should be golden. Also, most laptops in the lower price range only come with 1gb of memory and since they all run Vista now I would make sure to pick up a an additional 1gb of memory.
Yes, I realize that a laptop in the lower price ranges is what I'm after, but I was hoping that perhaps somebody here had some insight into best place to buy, best brands to buy, minimum specs needed, etc.

As I said, I want it to be as cheap as possible, but not so low in specs that I'm throwing my money away on a crappy computer.

Your recommendation for 2gb instead of 1gb of RAM if the laptop is running Vista is exactly the type of info I'm after. Thank you.

So, you said to avoid Acer and Gateway. Any particular reason? NewEgg has a refurbished Gateway for $399 that looked pretty decent.

Any particular brands that you recommend?
Old 03-19-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Acer/Gateway=generally poor quality and mediocre customer support. HP, Toshiba, Dell are brands that I would look at (with HP and Dell usually offering the best bargain laptops). If you wanted to spend a little more then I would add Sony to the mix, but you are paying for more style than anything with Sony (not bad laptops at all, but maybe a little overpriced).

You will always find an advertised sale on laptops in the sub $700 range. As far as a place to buy, I would recommend Fry's if there is one near you. They have a 14 day return policy (as is the norm at most places for PC's) but they DO NOT charge a re-stocking fee if you decide/need to return it.

Most B&M stores are pretty much the same when making a purchase like this. Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA etc. all push their warranties on you, they try and push accessories on you. So pick the store you are most comfortable with, and ask about re-stocking fees (usually 15-20%) just in case.

As far as the memory upgrade, unless you buy at Fry's (they seem to be the only place that prices their memory to be comparable with places like Newegg, Tiger etc) look online to get the best bang for your buck. 4gb of dual channel memory can be had for $80 online.