Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

fdisk/ mbr: Every done it for bad sectors?

Old 03-15-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
fdisk/ mbr: Every done it for bad sectors?

I have a secondary HD that is coming up with bad sectors. A buddy told me to try to fdisk/mbr the drive. He says it will eliminate the boot sequence from the drive, and allow me to recover the data that I have on the drive...is this true/possible? The disc has a crapload of mp3's, and more importantly, pictures of my kids growing up (6 years worth). All I want to do is recover the data, then the drive could spontaneously combust for all I care.

Will this work, completely ruin my chances of any recovery, or is there a better way to approach the situation?

Thanks,

~S2K
Old 03-15-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

don't fdisk it...

there are many pieces of data recovery software that will do the job...

i back up to tape and stuff, i am always thinking of data redundancy and backup... so i haven't used any data recovery software lately...

i'm sure someone here will suggest software they have used to recover data from a drive...

writing a new master boot record will not help in any way... you can simply unplug the drive's bus and power cables to stop it from being accessed at all until you are ready to recover the data...

since it's still responding you shouldn't have too many problems...

don't forget the freezer if it fails completely... Link to article...

since it's important pictures, you can pay to have the data extracted by professionals like Drive Savers Link... or other companies there are many...

and start backing up your data at least every week...
Old 03-15-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A guy at work was just telling me about the freezer trick today...I thought he was kidding, but he swore that he was serious, lol. The mbr is really useless anyhow isn't it, since it's just a slave drive with no OS on it?

I'm also not too keen on sending the drive out as it may contain some 'compromising' pictures of the wife also
Old 03-15-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you send me those compromising pictures I can tell you how to recover the data

Steve, if you still have my email addy, use it, I forgot/lost yours. I might be able to hook you up with something that can help.
Old 03-15-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
The mbr is really useless anyhow isn't it, since it's just a slave drive with no OS on it?
The MBR also contains the partition table.
Old 03-15-08, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The freezing trick definitely works for some problems. Last failed drive that someone gave me, freezing it bought me just enough time to boot up, connect to a remote share, and transfer some files off it. I was able to do this a couple times and save the files that they wanted.
Old 03-15-08, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

xp or later, the fdisk /mbr isnt really going to hurt anything
but also isnt going to help

i dont remember if 2k did it.. but i know xp is smart enough to find the boot info and go ahead and boot up, even after an fdisk /mbr
Old 07-10-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

*sigh*, I finally got around to work on this since I'm on vacation. I tried the program (getdataback) that you emailed to me Ken, but nothing is showing up. It starts recognizing a couple files at first, then I get an error55 for everything, which (I believe) means unrecognizable drive. When the program finishes, the visualisation shows nothing. I sent you an email (Ken).

The same thing happens when I boot up. It shows the D drive, but as soon as I try to access it, it disappears. If I try running the program again on it, it says something about needing to be an admin to access it, and it doesn't even show.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 07-10-08 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve

Bummer! I haven't checked that email account in a while, sorry, I will check it later tonight and get back to you.

The error 55 is not good. I assume you have this drive hooked up correctly internally on an IDE or Sata connection and not in a USB enclosure, right?

If this error isn't a connection failure and indeed a drive failure, I have another program that MIGHT help, after it runs, you have to run getdataback again and you might have better results.

Is the drive making any odd noises?
Old 07-10-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ken, no problem, I just sent the email before I posted here.

When I first boot up there is a very slow, soft clicking sound, almost not noticable, and I have the case wall off. The drive is hooked up correctly (IDE), as it does recognize it as a Maxtor drive. I've never changed anything from when it was working, and it actually never left the shell since then. My master drive is a Sata, could that matter?

Like I said though, it starts reading actual files on the drive, then it 'disappears' from my computer, giving the rest of the drive the error55 message.
Old 07-10-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

Like I said though, it starts reading actual files on the drive, then it 'disappears' from my computer, giving the rest of the drive the error55 message.
This is what bothers me It sounds more like a circuit board issue than a head/platter crash issue.

The error 55 and the drive disappearing is as if the IDE connection has been unplugged can translate to the interface on the drive has possibly gone bad. The only way to really fix this is to buy another drive that is IDENTICAL

and by IDENTICAL, I don't mean the drive model number, I mean the same firmware and revision level of drive which are smaller numbers scribed on the circuit board of the drive somewhere. It is very possible to do, but takes a lot of leg work to hunt down a drive. I have been lucky enough to find some on ebay even when I can convince the seller to read the numbers and email them to me
Old 07-10-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So do you mean that a head/platter crash has something to do with the MoBo, or the board on the drive itself? And, by buying an identical drive, I will still have the issue that I'm having (with my maxtor), but it will let us (you) know that that is the problem, right? Or, will having a new identical drive somehow fix the problem? LOL, I'm confused.

Should I try to freeze it first? If so, how long? Won't it get condensation in it?
Old 07-10-08, 04:36 PM
X
Administrator

The clicking sound and then the drive disappearing indicates that I would definitely try the freezer trick. Just stick it in a plastic bag and seal it. Give it a couple hours in the freezer, take it out and hook it up quickly so you can try to get files off while it's cold.

You can repeat the process if necessary.
Old 07-10-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X
The clicking sound and then the drive disappearing indicates that I would definitely try the freezer trick. Just stick it in a plastic bag and seal it. Give it a couple hours in the freezer, take it out and hook it up quickly so you can try to get files off while it's cold.

You can repeat the process if necessary.
First off, I just tried killing the bug that is your avatar. Second, should I try to access it by just going into 'my computer' & copy/paste or drag files? Is there a quicker way to do it?
Old 07-10-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
The clicking sound
he said was soft and almost unnoticeable, not normal for a head crash IMO

Steve - the freezer trick is always worth trying, it's free

I would freeze it for 15-20 minutes, plug it up and immediately try to use the normal windows file explorer to find and copy your files

Let us know what happens - it MIGHT be worth a freezer trick and then hitting it with getdataback, but try the above windows copy first.

I am really thinking this is not a head crash, but hard to diagnose from here

To kill the bug under X's name, you must first get a hammer
Old 07-10-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
To kill the bug under X's name, you must first get a hammer
And make sure it doesn't have a human head
Old 07-10-08, 08:42 PM

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and what I did was pick up a new hd, do a clean install on it, and then I plugged in the old one once I got the computer up and running with the new hd. I was able to simply extract everything I needed to the new hd. I then wiped the old hd clean. I'm not too technically savvy though, so I don't know if your problem is more complicated.

You could also try to connect it in a external enclosure via usb to see if it will recognize it and allow you to extract the files you need.

Last edited by mr. b_dvd; 07-10-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 08:53 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4KRG
he said was soft and almost unnoticeable, not normal for a head crash IMO
I've had soft clicking when starting up as a symptom of the heads not calibrating correctly so it keeps retrying. The freezer trick helped in several of those cases long enough for me to wipe the drive. (I never have a problem needing the files since I backup, but I didn't want my files on the drive when I returned it or sent it in for replacement.)

I think longer than an hour in the freezer is better, it will stay up longer.

What bug? Maybe you need to fumigate your monitor!
Old 07-11-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it's in the freezer as we speak. When I took it from the case, it was almost too hot to touch.
Old 07-11-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, here's the update:

Before freezing, the disk made a noise, and when I started up my computer, I'd get a blue screen for a disk check that took about 10 minutes to show errors unless I cancelled the check. As soon as I tried to access the drive, it would disappear.

Now, after the freeze:

No clicking sound.
No disk check hangup, went straight to windows.
When I checked the drive, it said zero objects, but the drive still showed up after checking it.
When in my computer, it did 'hang' for a while when switching from my pc to the D drive.
I ran getdataback, but it didn't show the drive this time, after trying to access through my computer.

Now, here's a bummer...I had a bunch of stuff in my startup menu that took forever to finally load up first, which may have hurt the situation a bit. I removed all that crap from the startup, and I'm refreezing my drive.

Can I hook that drive up while my PC is running? Will it hurt anything? I want to save as much time as possible.
Old 07-11-08, 10:40 PM
X
Administrator

I wouldn't hook it up while the PC was running unless you had it in an exteral USB or Firewire enclosure.

You could also start up your PC in safe mode which would boot it up quicker and not run the startup items.
Old 07-11-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it wouldn't let me access using my computer, but running getdataback showed the drive. When it started running, it showed some files, then it starts with the I/O error error23. Here's what I see before I click 'yes' to continue:

1st hard drive 31.5GB (HD128)-Maxtor 6Y120PO (sectors 0-66055247)
Index allocs: 1
Files identified: 0 starts, 0 usrdef
boot sectors: 2
MFT entries: 920, 1 $MFT

mft entry found at sector 18278: MOVIES 14 (111).avi
(There are 14 different movie files, then):
Error 23 in HD128: during ReadLba: LBA=18304, CHS=1x-1x-1, cnt=64
Bad Sectors>=1
***I/O error 'Unknown Error (23)' reading sector 18304 on HD128
-----------------------------

So instead of clicking yes, I clicked cancel. It read several more files, and the 'files identified' was at 55 starts. Then it gave me an option of cancel or ignore, and I hit ignore...this went on until I was sick of hitting the button (still at 1%). After I hit cancel, the drive wasn't recognized anymore.
Old 07-12-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve

It is more looking like a physical failure

I sent you another email with another tool to try, see if my email makes any sense to you
Old 07-12-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry for this question, but I don't think I've ever copied an ISO to disk. OK, the blank CD is in, I DL'd the RAR. I unzipped the RAR. Do I drag all of the files onto the disk, or the RAR? None of them say ISO, so I'm confused (sorry).
Old 07-12-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What CD/DVD burning software are you using?

You don't actually burn the ISO (and it's ISO, not RAR) file itself to a CD, you burn what is inside the ISO file to the CD and each burning software has it's own way of performing this process

and don't be sorry, it's no problem

Don't unzip or unrar the files inside the ISO with a zip or rar tool, oly process the ISO through your CD burning software

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.