Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone use media center extenders? if so, which one?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-14-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Ive been using an older machine as a vista media center pc on the lcd tv in my pool room.. and gotten spoiled by the ease of access to all my media

now.. as I start replacing the other tvs in my house with lcd/plasma.. i would also like to tie them into my media center

seems an extender might be one of the more cost efficient ways to go..

anyone currently using them, and if so, any recommendations for one that works decent wireless.
Old 03-16-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same for me. I want something wireless that can handle HDTV. I've been looking, but it seems they either don't work, or cost more than buying another computer.
Old 03-16-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i use my xbox 360, works pretty well. But since I doubt you'd want one for each TV - that's out of the question
Old 03-16-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
i use my xbox 360, works pretty well. But since I doubt you'd want one for each TV - that's out of the question
It's not that silly. People buy PS3 for a Blu-Ray player.

I'm considering going with a couple of 360s and a friend of mine that doesn't play games saw how mine worked and he's thinking about getting one. I'd just get the budget model without the hard drive. It seems cheaper than a computer or some other device. Buy a wireless bridge and hook up that way. You'd probably need an 802.11n router and bridge to make it work with HDTV or just run some cable.
Old 03-17-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
well.. a 360 is on my current wish list.. so that would take care of the bedroom..
but last i heard, there were issues with divx through 360.. is there a suitable work around for that?
Old 03-17-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
well.. a 360 is on my current wish list.. so that would take care of the bedroom..
but last i heard, there were issues with divx through 360.. is there a suitable work around for that?
Depends on how long ago you last heard something I think. I haven't noticed many issues - but then again I really only use the media center option for my HD recordings that are on my PC. And since I record them with the Media Center, they work out quite nicely.