Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

BD drives - when...?

Old 03-14-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

BD drives - when...?

So... when can we expect to see BD-ROM drives, either as upgrades or built into desktops/notebooks?
Old 03-14-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=15709
Old 03-14-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-Ray drives have been out for a while now. You can buy an internal drive for under $200:
http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-Reader-...dp/B0010ZWYF8/

They're also available on some higher-end laptops and desktops.
Old 03-14-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the hardware is out there, but I'm wondering how much power the software needs for playback. I've heard it may need 100% CPU the whole time, which turns me off.
Old 03-14-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you upgrade your video card you should be fine. Any ATI 2000 series card (I have a 2600XT) will decode the video with little CPU time required (I think about 10% on my dual core AMD 3400+).
Old 03-14-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, i've seen the drives out for awhile and they just recently became real cheap. Being able to buy a Lite-On drive for about $120 from NewEgg is tempting.

EDIT: $130.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106227
Old 03-15-08, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Pioneer BD-ROM/DVD-RW combo (BDC-202). It plays nicely with PowerDVD 7.3

You definitely need a 1080p HDCP monitor otherwise you can't play BD discs. Otherwise... well you can get AnyDVD HD that can bypass that.

I'm not sure about drives for notebook though. They do sell laptops with BD drive, but I haven't seen anyone sells the drive separately.
Old 03-21-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Darknite39
If you upgrade your video card you should be fine.
Alas, untrue; if the disc has HD-only soundtracks, a very powerful CPU will be required for smooth playback. I'm not sure just how powerful, but a 4200+ X2 will not suffice. (I found this out with "Resident Evil 3, which has a TrueHD soundtrack.")
Old 03-22-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, the hardware is out there, but I'm wondering how much power the software needs for playback. I've heard it may need 100% CPU the whole time, which turns me off.

last i heard a dual core centrino will spike to 100% CPU

while back on slashdot some guy who said he writes HD codecs said that it's pretty hard to write them and it's not something where you can predict the stream of instructions
Old 03-22-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There should be some sound cards around that can easily handle the various audio tracks.

I think a blu-ray-rom/dvd-rw will be the norm within five years. So the hardware and software should better catch up by then.
Old 03-24-08, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

Hey, I just had an idea. Currently, I have my HDTV hooked up to my computer via DVI (along with my regular monitor). Couldn't I buy one of these Blu-Ray internal drives and watch it on my HDTV? Blu-Ray experience at a fraction of the cost. That'll work, right? For sound I have a coaxial from computer to A/V receiver.
Old 03-24-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your computer can handle the high-performance demands of the audio and video codecs, you certainly can use your PC to play BDs through your Home Theater.
Old 03-25-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cronius
Hey, I just had an idea. Currently, I have my HDTV hooked up to my computer via DVI (along with my regular monitor). Couldn't I buy one of these Blu-Ray internal drives and watch it on my HDTV? Blu-Ray experience at a fraction of the cost. That'll work, right? For sound I have a coaxial from computer to A/V receiver.
Yes you can. However like someone have pointed out, you need quite a powerful PC to do that. My Core 2 Duo E6400 + GT8600 usually go at around 60% during BD playback.

Also you're going to need a HDCP complaint HDTV (shouldn't be a problem), and HDCP complaint OS (Vista). If you're not on Vista... you can get AnyDVD HD to get around it.
Old 03-25-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How does lossless audio over HDMI work, or is it just analog for now? If you could just pass the bitstream to a receiver, it wouldn't need to be processed by the computer. Could it go internally through the video card over the PCI Express bus, or does a sound card need to connect to the video card? My video card has a connector on it, but I think it only accepts S/PDIF.
Old 03-28-08, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

Well guys, I got the LITE ON blu-ray drive last night [from newegg]!

At first, the video was choppy on my HDTV (played Enchanted BD, btw), but after resizing the desktop to fit my screen exactly - it was too big - via NVIDIA control panel, it played smoothly. But you guys were right; very cpu intensive.

One technical issue though - even when I disable my monitor and port the video strictly to my HDTV, Power DVD still thinks it's non-HDCP compliant (and it definitely is, and yes, I'm on Vista). AnyDVD HD works splendidly, but I'd like to avoid paying ~$124 US (!!) after the trial ends if I can. I'll play around with it more, but not sure what else I can do.
Old 03-29-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hm what do you use to connect your HDTV? DVI? You could make sure if the driver/monitor profile for the HDTV is up to date.

The thing is... before I use AnyDVD HD... my BD would still play just fine on my 2407FPW (HDCP complaint), but it can't play on my VP2030b (non HDCP) so disabling your monitor would do nothing.

AnyDVD... yes it is expensive and I only bought it anyway because I needed it. But hey, at least they offer free upgrades for every update (so far I've done two upgrade). They sometimes also do promotion during special ocassion like the last time... it was St. Patrick's Day and Easter - and they cut the price 20% off.

But... yeah. Check the driver first.

Last edited by eedoon; 03-29-08 at 08:06 AM.