Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Limited Or No Connectivity error when switching (cable) internet between computers

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Limited Or No Connectivity error when switching (cable) internet between computers

Old 03-12-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

so my dad has one of those comcast cable/phone combo modems. no router. so we're just sharing the connection between our laptops, unplugging from one and plugging into the other when needed.

every time we do this, the new computer we've plugged the cat5 cable into says 'limited or no connectivity'. the only way i've found to fix this is that we have to reset the modem by holding its reset button and letting it cycle.

both laptops are running windows XP, SP2 (one is home, one is pro).

is there another way around this without physically resetting the modem every time? seems odd to me that you can't just plug the cable into either computer and have a connection.
Old 03-12-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cable modem is probably still tied to the old Ethernet adapter's MAC address when you plug the new Ethernet adapter (on the new PC) in. Now, routers and other smart network devices will recognize and accept a new MAC address when a new device is plugged in. I'm guessing that the cable modem in question isn't that smart and only checks the MAC address when booting up, hence why you have to reset it.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ics/cablemac.htm

The only way I can see to fix this is to see if the modem has newer firmware available that might fix this. If not, then you could try getting a different modem; although you're likely renting it from the cable company and would probably get the same make/model in an exchange. You could buy your own, but if you're going to do that you might as well get an actual router instead and be able to have both computers connected at the same time, perhaps even wirelessly.
Old 03-13-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Easiest solution is to just get a router. They are fairly cheap these days. If you don't want to do that you can clone one of your Laptops Mac addresses so that they both have the same MAC address.

Assuming your using winXP

ON LAPTOP: A

Start > Run> type "CMD" no quotes, into the run box

This will bring up a command prompt window. type "ipconfig/all " then press enter
Look at the 12 digit physical address, and write it down, this is your mac address.

ON LAPTOP: B

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double click on Network Connections.

Right click on the network card (it should say local area connection) and select properties.

Under “General” tab, click on the “Configure” button

Click on “Advanced” tab

Under “Property section”, you should see an item called “Network Address” or "Locally Administered Address", click on it.

On the right side, under “Value”, type in the New MAC address you want to assign to your NIC. Usually this value is entered without the “-“ between the MAC address numbers.

Goto command prompt and type in “ipconfig /all” to verify the changes.

If successful, reboot your system.