Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Gotta Love Unsecured Wireless Networks !

Old 03-12-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gotta Love Unsecured Wireless Networks !

Ive been travelling around the world these last few weeks. Been to Amsterdam, London, just arrived in New York today

Everywhere i go, i just turn on my laptop, search for wireless networks and there is always some unsecured ones ! Often the hotels don't secure their networks. So i've been happily leeching my arse off, lol
Old 03-12-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My old roommate moved out and found that his new place had a neighbor who has an unsecured FIOS connection. Lucky bastard.
Old 03-12-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How hard/easy is it for people to see who is connected to their network ? I guess if they couldn't suss out how to set up a password for it, they won't be able to work this out !
Old 03-13-08, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most people have no idea how to even get into their router/firewall's interface, and those that do probably have security turned on, so I would say they'll be oblivious to your presence. Depending on the router manufacturer, the administration interface usually will show wireless IP addresses used and sometimes the MAC address of connected computers.
Old 03-13-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
How hard/easy is it for people to see who is connected to their network ? I guess if they couldn't suss out how to set up a password for it, they won't be able to work this out !
Not that hard.
Old 03-13-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
There are plenty of people who leave their router unsecured because they don't care if anyone leaches off them. I have mine set up so only my computers can use P2P protocols, so I don't have to worry about a neighbor hogging my bandwidth, and anything important I do uses a secure connection..

But my router lets me see who's connected to it, and even keeps a nice little log of what they're doing.
Old 03-13-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
But my router lets me see who's connected to it, and even keeps a nice little log of what they're doing.
Anything interesting? Catch a fellow DVDTalker?
Old 03-13-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's why I love my iPod touch. When I'm in the city, there's almost always an open network somewhere and I can use it like a GPS in conjunction with google maps.
Old 03-13-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whenever I see an unsecured network, I helpfully log into the administration panel with the default credentials and set up a new password to keep them safe. I haven't received any complaints so far, so I know people appreciate it!
Old 03-13-08, 12:50 PM
Suspended

i use limewire on unsecured networks. i have about three on my floor so i haven't paid for internet in years.
Old 03-13-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My network is open. As long as someone isn't using too much bandwidth, I could care less.
Old 03-13-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thief
Old 03-13-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I have my PSP with me while I'm out and about, I try to find unsecured networks with it just for something to do, and always have no problem finding one.

Along with people hogging bandwidth, I'd also worry about someone performing illegal activity if they used my network because it was unsecured. Sure, the authorities could eventually determine that it wasn't me, but it would be quite an inconvenience at the very least, until it was fully investigated. So, I made sure my connection is password protected. It isn't too hard to figure out how to do even if you're not too tech savvy.