Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problems with internet/PS3 connection

Old 03-11-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Problems with internet/PS3 connection

So I picked up a Linksys router and set it up last night... went smoothly, worked fine with my laptop. I set up the Wii and that worked... then I tried the PS3. It found my connection, I entered my password and all that...than performed the final test and.... nothing. My network wasn't showing up either... Ran upstairs to check my internet and couldn't get anything, not even through the local connection.

Did the PS3 do something or is this simply a problem with my IP (comcast)? Never had a problem before...and this seemed to happen at about midnight...which made me suspicious that perhaps I'd been "cut off." My bill is past due, however I just called and they claimed everything should be fine, and auto payment is set for later this month.

No internet this morning either.... any help would be appreciated. Hopefully it's a simple solution....
Old 03-11-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you try powering off and then on the router and modem? That usually does the trick for me.
Old 03-11-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did close and reopen my laptop, but not a full restart now that I think of it. I'll try again when I get home.

It's just weird that the local connection is gone too...
Old 03-11-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Artman, I was referring to turing off, then on, the power on the actual router and cable modem, not the laptop.
Old 03-11-08, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did unplug them briefly, yes.
Old 03-11-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is a known issue with Linksys brand routers and the PS3.

Although not as bad as what's happening with you, I did have connection issues between my Linksys and PS3. I had to constantly sign into the network everytime I turned the PS3 on.

I updated to the most current router firmware and haven't had any issues since. I would update the firmware in addition to the router/modem recycle.
Old 03-11-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aight, yeah I just did some reserach... Assuming I re-establish my internet connection I'll do the firmware update and try disabling the UPnP deal on the router. Sounds like turning off the PS3 Media Server is an easier fix but that's something I'd like to use.
Old 03-12-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have success! Latest firmware and disabling UPnp did it. (not sure if the upnp is necessary, but I'm not gonna mess with it)

Old 03-12-08, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend