Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

School Me On Wireless Cards

Old 03-10-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

School Me On Wireless Cards

So I did some research but didn't really get the answer I was looking for. I purchased a vostro with the Intel 3945 a/g WLAN card thinking that would be good enough for the next couple of years as N is relatively new and what not. My question is did I make a mistake not upgrading to a N card? I ask this b/c I'm at my local library that is supposed to have cutting edge Wi-Fi, whatever that means.

So I connected my laptop and I only receive 54mpbs, which I beleive is equivalent to dial up right? I figured I'd at LEAST get cable internet or DSL speed. So if I had the N wireless card would I be able to download stuff faster or would it not matter what type of card I would have if the library doesn't have a a network thats fast? Meaning would I stil only receive 54mbps even with the latest and greatest N card? Thanks.

Last edited by phatboy; 03-10-08 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're fine. The dial-up speed you're thinking of is 56 kilobits per second. The wifi connection you're getting at the library is running at 54 megabits per second. If you're getting a good signal at the library and downloads are slow, it isn't because of your wireless card.
Old 03-10-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The majority of cable internet packages are going to peak at around 10Mbps, and those are usually the more expensive packages, so your wifi connection is around 5 times faster than that.

Note that the wifi stats only tell you how fast your connection to the local network is. The internet gateway on that network may have a much slower bitrate. For example, I have a 100Mbps LAN connection on my PC to my network, but my internet connection is 1/10th of that.

So, no, you aren't missing out on any speed advantage an N card may have afforded you, if all you're interested in is an internet connection. Where N network connectivity may come in handy is within your local network, such as wirelessly streaming video from your laptop to your Xbox, for example.
Old 03-10-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks so much for your answers fellas....your the best....now here's another question off topic....I mentioened that I got the Dell Vostro 1500. Well for some reason all of the images on my web pages are fuzzy or blurry. I went into display and tried adjuting the resolution but that didn't work. I've got it at 1680 X 1050, which was the recommended setting. any suggestions... The words are all fine on the web pagess, its just images and I KNOW they can be cleared up.
Old 03-10-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phatboy
I got the Dell Vostro 1500. Well for some reason all of the images on my web pages are fuzzy or blurry.
Are you using IE? If yes, this thread may have the answer:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...=148549&page=4
Old 03-12-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Are you using IE? If yes, this thread may have the answer:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...=148549&page=4

thanks it looks like my problem, but how do I get in the registry to adjust this?
Old 03-12-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks it looks like my problem, but how do I get in the registry to adjust this?
In XP, click Start -> Run , then type in "regedit".

Check here for more info:
http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/topics/t...dows_2000/555/
Old 03-12-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
In XP, click Start -> Run , then type in "regedit".

Check here for more info:
http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/topics/t...dows_2000/555/

well I tried it but I thnk I may have seriously screwed something up. It didn't fix the images but a dell rep reset my internet explorer to its "default" settings by controlling my computer through his and that fixed the blurry image problem. Problem is when I went to put the 1 back into the regedit thing, i think I may have put it in the wrong spot. HOwever everythign seems to be working fine so I don't know how big of a deal it is.

also I when I went to try adjust the registry, it's giving me an error message that says "error while opening key" so I can't even get into it anymore. Did I just screw something up big time?
Old 03-12-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well I tried it but I thnk I may have seriously screwed something up. It didn't fix the images but a dell rep reset my internet explorer to its "default" settings by controlling my computer through his and that fixed the blurry image problem.
If you were still eligible for Dell tech support, why didn't you just use that in the first place?

Also, I should've mentioned that regedit can seriously mess up your PC if not used properly. The link I provided showed how to make a registry backup before making any changes.

Problem is when I went to put the 1 back into the regedit thing, i think I may have put it in the wrong spot.
Why did you try and change the value back to 1?

also I when I went to try adjust the registry, it's giving me an error message that says "error while opening key" so I can't even get into it anymore. Did I just screw something up big time?
You may have, I can't say for sure. One thing you could try is to perform a System Restore to an earlier date, under Applications -> System Tools. This will restore all the registry settings, along with install programs and updates, at the point of backup. Picking a Restore point a day or so ago (or maybe as early as this morning before you made the changes, depending on what restore points are available) should fix any registry goofs you made, although it'll likely bring back the fuzzy pictures in IE again as well.

I found a site that has the require registry change saved as a .reg file. All you do is download this file to your PC and then "run" it, and it will change the required registry setting without needing to run regedit.
http://www.lealea.net/blog/comments/...on-widescreen/