Reload this Page >

Moving hard drive from one laptop to another

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 03-06-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts

Ok the power connection in my wifes laptop (Dell) is all messed up and will no longer provides power (it is the plug in the computer, not the cord).

My mom's toshiba laptop won't boot up for some reason and they got impatient and bought another computer.

So I figured I'd put the Dell HD in the Toshiba, and all would be good.

But windows is telling me I must "activate" that version of window before proceding. It seems to work fine, but I don't understand what it wants me to do. I tried to activate on line, but it couldn't find a connection. Both computers had XP on them. And it won't let me proceed. It gives me the option to call, but I don't understand why I'm calling????

I'd like this to work as it would obviously save me from buying a laptop. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Basically, Windows XP recognizes the hardware that it was installed on to prevent installation on multiple systems. Since it came from a Dell laptop and you're just moving it to the Toshiba, the Windows install that was already on there is seeing all new hardware so Microsoft is making you re-activate Windows to make sure you own a real copy of the software. That's why you need to call.

I'm not sure how Microsoft treats moving Windows between laptops if you have a Dell OEM licensed version of XP and if they'll let you activate (i'm sure someone else here might know). But optimally, if you have an installation disc from the Toshiba laptop or there's a CD-Key sticker on the laptop, it might be worth it to reinstall Windows with that key and have a brand new install since the hardware differences between the Dell laptop and the Toshiba laptop might cause problems.

I hope that made sense or I understood the problem correctly.
Old 03-06-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, thank you...I called them and they activated no problem. But of course you are right, I'm not sure windows recognizes all the hardware the Toshiba as it is trying to go through the new hardware wizard. Not sure I'm going to make this work. If I could get to a net connection maybe, but I think that is one of the issues.

I had the product key on the bottom of the Dell, so that worked perfect.
Old 03-06-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was able to d/l the eithernet driver on one of my other computer to a flash drive and then to the toshiba. So I'm on the internet, wired anyway. So moving along.
Old 03-07-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My apologies for hijacking your thread, but I've got a similar question.

Same thing happened to my laptop (a Compaq) around December. I'd get a flicker of power, a black screen, and not much else. Didn't want to pay for diagnostics or an expensive fix so I've been using my work laptop (a MacBook) instead. And I love it. So much so that I'm going to buy my own MacBook.

My question: Can I transfer data from the Compaq's HD to the MacBook by purchasing and using one of those $60 external HD cases w/USB? I'm only looking to retrieve docs and pics, none of the software.

Suggestion?
Old 03-08-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh that should be easy and I have done a number of times. The first thing you need to do is make sure you have your stuff in your Compaq all organized and in findable folders.

Then yea, you can use and external drive or depending on how much stuff a couple of "trips" with a thumb drive.

If you have a network (I've done it wirelessly) set up it might be even easier. Put all the stuff you want to move in one folder on your compaq and then make it a "shared" folder. Then you should be able to see it with your new computer and drag and drop. I've done that as well.
Old 03-09-08, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Oh that should be easy and I have done a number of times. The first thing you need to do is make sure you have your stuff in your Compaq all organized and in findable folders.

Then yea, you can use and external drive or depending on how much stuff a couple of "trips" with a thumb drive.

If you have a network (I've done it wirelessly) set up it might be even easier. Put all the stuff you want to move in one folder on your compaq and then make it a "shared" folder. Then you should be able to see it with your new computer and drag and drop. I've done that as well.
Thanks for the response!

But the Compaq won't power up. I've already removed the HD. Trying to figure out how to get that data on that HD transferred to my Mac.

Ideas?
Old 03-09-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Thanks for the response!

But the Compaq won't power up. I've already removed the HD. Trying to figure out how to get that data on that HD transferred to my Mac.

Ideas?
I know nothing about Macs, but there should be a way to connect that drive directly to it. What kind of interface does it use?
Old 03-09-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 210 Posts
My question: Can I transfer data from the Compaq's HD to the MacBook by purchasing and using one of those $60 external HD cases w/USB?
You don't need a $60 case. You can get one to fit a laptop IDE HDD (2.5") for around $10.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Just put the HDD in the case, and plug it in via the USB to you mac, and it'll show up as an external HDD.
Old 03-09-08, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You don't need a $60 case. You can get one to fit a laptop IDE HDD (2.5") for around $10.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Just put the HDD in the case, and plug it in via the USB to you mac, and it'll show up as an external HDD.
Didn't even consider monoprice. Thanks much for that link and the advice, Jay. I'll give that a shot.

Old 03-09-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
My apologies for hijacking your thread, but I've got a similar question.

Same thing happened to my laptop (a Compaq) around December. I'd get a flicker of power, a black screen, and not much else. Didn't want to pay for diagnostics or an expensive fix so I've been using my work laptop (a MacBook) instead. And I love it. So much so that I'm going to buy my own MacBook.

My question: Can I transfer data from the Compaq's HD to the MacBook by purchasing and using one of those $60 external HD cases w/USB? I'm only looking to retrieve docs and pics, none of the software.

Suggestion?
If you bought it in December it's still under warrenty. After you get your files get Compaq to fix it.
Old 03-09-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, I didn't even know Monoprice had that sort of thing. Neat.
Old 03-09-08, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg
If you bought it in December it's still under warrenty. After you get your files get Compaq to fix it.
its
I'd had the laptop for over a year before it "died" on me. Took it to a couple of computer repair places and each quoted me $60 just to diagnose the problem. "Only" paid about $500 for it.
Old 03-10-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, things going good and got wireless now on the Toshiba (with the Dell HD). So far so good!!!

Do have the question; the drive that came with the Toshiba is a bigger drive. I'm thinking it's not booting cause of a bunch of spy ware and crap. I'm guessing I could reformat the drive, but how do I get windows back on it? Do I need to buy a retail version? I'm not asking for anything illegal, I just didn't know if most computer come with a copy?