Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I'm having a problem with DVD playback on Vista

Old 03-05-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having a problem with DVD playback on Vista

As the title reads, I am having a problem playing DVDs on my Vista laptop. Earlier today I go to watch Lethal Weapon 2 on my laptop because the other two TVs in my house that have DVD players were occupied, and after it asks me what media player I want to use, I get this message:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more details.

Does anyone know what this means? I tried the DVD in my desktop PC, which is running XP, and it played fine. I have played a handful of other DVDs in my laptop without any trouble, so I'm stumped as to what's wrong.
Old 03-06-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What media player did you use?
Old 03-06-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Vista should support DVD playback with Windows Media Player without needing another program for the codec like PowerDVD or WinDVD. I'd try launching Windows Media Player and see if the DVD runs.
Old 03-07-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
What media player did you use?
I was trying to use WinDVD. I just tried 2 other movies (Blue Velvet and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) and the computer said the same thing. Now, I played Vampire Hunter D in my laptop before with no problems. However, I found out that if I launch Windows Media Player first, then put in the DVD, it will load up and work properly. I did this with all 3 films. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with my OS and I should re-install Vista.
Old 03-07-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big e
I was trying to use WinDVD. I just tried 2 other movies (Blue Velvet and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) and the computer said the same thing. Now, I played Vampire Hunter D in my laptop before with no problems. However, I found out that if I launch Windows Media Player first, then put in the DVD, it will load up and work properly. I did this with all 3 films. I'm thinking there might be something wrong with my OS and I should re-install Vista.
I'm not a big fan of WinDVD and that is probably your issue. I recommend the media player that comes with K-lite codec pack: http://www.codecguide.com/
Old 03-24-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lateralus, I installed that codec package and everything works fine now. Thanks.
Old 03-25-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by big e
Lateralus, I installed that codec package and everything works fine now. Thanks.
Sweet!