Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Running ITunes off an external drive?

Old 03-01-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Running ITunes off an external drive?

Question. In order to preserve space on my notebook's hard drive, I moved all my ITunes stuff onto an external hard drive. Then I added a few songs to ITunes on my hard drive hoping to bump them over to my IPod. However, that seemingly makes it impossible to move those 2 songs or new videos, etc to the IPod because a sync up will delete everything on the IPod which I obviously don't want to do.

Therefore, I had to copy everything back over from the external hard drive just to get these 2 new songs onto the IPod. Pain in the ass.

Is there anyway around this, such as having the ITunes program on my hard drive recognize that all my ITunes songs/videos are on the external hard drive?
Old 03-01-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny. I've heard people have this problem. I never have. I moved all of my music from itunes to the external. When I rip a cd I put it in itunes first, then move it to the external. itunes keeps a shortcut, and as long as my external is powered I don't have a problem.
Old 03-02-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recently did this. In iTunes I went to "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" and changed the folder to the one I wanted on the external hard drive. I've also got "Keep iTunes folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library" checked in the same area, if that'd make any difference.

Only time I run into problems is when I try to add something to iTunes without realizing my external hard drive isn't plugged in. Then it defaults to the My Documents/My Music folder and I just have to change it back.
Old 03-02-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can just play the songs from your ipod from itunres. You do not get the cover flow visuals though.
Old 03-02-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tscott
I recently did this. In iTunes I went to "Edit" -> "Preferences" -> "Advanced" and changed the folder to the one I wanted on the external hard drive. I've also got "Keep iTunes folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music Folder when adding to library" checked in the same area, if that'd make any difference.

Only time I run into problems is when I try to add something to iTunes without realizing my external hard drive isn't plugged in. Then it defaults to the My Documents/My Music folder and I just have to change it back.

Apparently this is correct based on the ITunes Help menu, but despite all the moving back and forth between drives I've done in the last few hours, I still can't get the damn thing to work. Such bullshit.

Why do they have to make things so complicated? Why can't they just let you drag songs/videos individually (after bypassing the Sync option) from ITunes to an IPod you plug in.
Old 03-03-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best solution for iTunes external storage -

Recently got into the iPod craze when the wife and I upgraded to iPhones. Here's the problem, we both want to share the same videos and music. To accomplish this, I bought a Buffalo Tech Network drive (500GB for about $179) which I connected to our Apple Airport. I then set up a new user ID on our main laptop for iTunes. I ripped all CDs under this user ID with storage of the itunes files and directories on the Buffalo Tech Network Drive. I am also coverting videos and saving to the same drive under iTunes.

Next step was to wipe the iTunes files under our existing individual log-ins. I set up the network drive to be accessed on log-in under either of our accounts on the Laptop. In each account, I set iTunes up to NOT copy the files on import/rip. I then did an import in iTunes in each account and selected the iTunes folder on the Network Drive. This imported all 650+ albums into each of our accounts without copying the actual song files (so it does not take that long to process-about 20 minutes or so). Now we can each set up our own iPod song lists in our individual iTunes accounts on the same computer.

Going forward, when I add new music, I just make sure I am in the iTunes log-in account when I rip the CDs/buy music online. I then do a new import under each of our individual log-ins which adds just the new music files.
Old 03-03-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tscott

This is what I've done, as well as everyone in my family. I just created a new music folder on the external, pointed itunes to the new folder, and then consolidated my library. Itunes moved everything for me, all new ripped cds went to that folder, and the ipod syncs perfectly with it. When I add mp3's to itunes, I drag and drop into the library, which then puts it in the external's music folder.
Old 03-04-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Finally. Got it figured out. Had to do the step described above and then select File > Add Folder to Library. Then I guess it could 'see' all my Itunes files on the external drive and then it automatically dumped them all into Itunes.