Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Macbook having trouble with wi-fi

Old 02-29-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Macbook having trouble with wi-fi

Starting last night I started to get this message in my Airport settings:

"AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet."

From what I've gathered, this is indicative of a DHCP problem, but no other devices on my network are having any trouble (wireless or wired) and the Macbook has no trouble connecting using ethernet.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can try to fix this?
Old 03-01-08, 12:21 AM

Try turning the Airport card off and then back on, if that does fix it then power cycle the modem and router. Turn them off for a couple of minutes then turn on the modem and wait 30 seconds then turn on the router.

Even though other devices on the network are working fine this usually does the trick.
Old 03-01-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I think I fixed it... apparently there's a bug in Leopard with the firewall. You have to change the firewall setting, turn Airport off and back on, and then put your firewall back to where you had it and it should fix itself.

I tried it and as soon as I turned Airport back on it locked onto my access point immediately and I was able to use the internet.