Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Vista 64-bit. Is it time?

Old 02-29-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vista 64-bit. Is it time?

My seven year old computer has been good to me, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I see Vista has lowered prices, so I think my $1,000 budget can get me something pretty good. As you can tell I buy, and keep for a while. So, I like to get something good. I was looking at this machine: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-M9160...4241312&sr=8-1

I see it's running Vista 64-bit. When it first came out there were a lot of compatabilliy problems. I would be connecting Extreme-N wi-fi, an external HDD, and an external cd burner. Will I be OK?
Old 02-29-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unless you have a 64-bit application that you need to run, there are not a lot of benefits for the average user.
Old 02-29-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by parrotheads4
My seven year old computer has been good to me, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I see Vista has lowered prices, so I think my $1,000 budget can get me something pretty good. As you can tell I buy, and keep for a while. So, I like to get something good. I was looking at this machine: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-M9160...4241312&sr=8-1

I see it's running Vista 64-bit. When it first came out there were a lot of compatabilliy problems. I would be connecting Extreme-N wi-fi, an external HDD, and an external cd burner. Will I be OK?
If you intend to press ahead I would first check to see if each device and peripheral need a Vista specific driver. Just because the OS may be running better does not mean that all of your devices will be supported.
Old 02-29-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i would get Windows XP-64 bit... and not get vista... free advice...

and check all the drivers as was mentioned...

the most important single advantage is a wider OS throughput path... while an application may not be 64 bit, the paging of files, and swapping, and caching of the OS and etc. is 64 bit...

and with a 64 bit OS you can go beyond the 4GB ceiling on RAM of a 32-bit OS... and you can't have 4GB RAM functioning on 32 bit... because every single instance of mapped memory is deducted from that 4GB limit...

i've been running a 64 bit OS since 1998...
Old 02-29-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm running 64-bit Vista and I love it! I have a N card and external hard drive and I don't have any issues. The only software that I found that I can't use us the CISCO VPN client but other that that everything is OK. Also Apple finally released a 64-bit version of iTunes a couple months ago and I am happy with that as well.
Old 02-29-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Vista 64-bit here as well. Everything runs fine, although at the time I knew my previous wireless USB adapter didn't have Vista 64 drivers so I bought a new Netgear one in anticipation. Other then that, every thing I have works perfectly and runs great.

I wouldn't recommend XP64. I think drivers for that would be harder to find.
Old 02-29-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there really is no point unless you are running more than 4GB of RAM and you have apps that need 4GB RAM

right now x64 only allows you to access more than 4GB of RAM directly without going through hacks like PAE

we have sql servers where i work with 32GB of RAM, but i don't see the point for a regular PC. we even have a server we just bought that will take up to 256GB of RAM that is running Windows 2003 Server R2 x64, but the new RAM is too expensive