Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HDD IDE to SATA conversion troubles

Old 02-25-08, 02:34 PM
Needs to provide a working email

HDD IDE to SATA conversion troubles

Did a quick search of the forum, didn't see a thread on this. Sorry if I missed it.

But I recently got a new computer. The motherboard only has SATA inputs--no IDE. I'd like to use the HDD from my old pc, but it's IDE. So I got a converter (Addonics ADIDESA). Problem is, my new pc refuses to recognize the thing. I've played with the jumper settings. No luck. Are there any motherboard settings I may need to change? Any other suggestions?

(I did find mention of an IDE to USB converter in another thread. That may be an option, but it's another damned converter to buy.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-26-08, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

kind of a mickey mouse job, but get a SATA type hdd, then turn your old IDE hdd into external hdd.

I'm somewhat in the same boat you're in. I want to upgrade, but I'm finding out so much new technology.
Old 02-26-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about a PCI IDE card?
Old 02-27-08, 01:04 PM

Do you need to turn on compatability mode on your motherboard for SATA. SATA requires a driver for support on things like windows etc. I do not know if it would not even see the device in bios, but I do know if it is not set to compatability mode, you will not be able to use your pretty and shiny retail CD of XP to load the os on the driver (or a sata drive for that matter!!!)
Old 02-27-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Ide to USB thingy that works great. However, I also have a sata to ide thingy that worked for me also. Hmmmm wait a minute i couldn't use it to install windows xp but once I got xp installed on a different drive windows was able to see it.

I also have a external case that takes sata drives and connects to the pc through usb. If you are going to use the drive a lot I'd get one of those. If you are going to use it once in a blue moon I'd get a sata to usb device. The one I have also takes ide drives.