Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Virtualbox Help (Shared Folders)

Old 02-20-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Virtualbox Help (Shared Folders)

I have Linux as a host and Vista as a guest on my system and I am having trouble setting up a shared folder for these two.

I setup a folder on my desktop as a shared folder but Vista doesn't see it at all. I pointed Virtualbox to the folder and even told Linux to share it (right clicked on the folder and also in Samba) and still nothing.

Am I not doing something right or it is just a case of Vista being a royal pain?
Old 02-20-08, 12:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I have Linux as a host and Vista as a guest on my system and I am having trouble setting up a shared folder for these two.

I setup a folder on my desktop as a shared folder but Vista doesn't see it at all. I pointed Virtualbox to the folder and even told Linux to share it (right clicked on the folder and also in Samba) and still nothing.

Am I not doing something right or it is just a case of Vista being a royal pain?

Does networking work at all in the Vista VM? You should be able to use Samba to share the folder and browse to it in Vista as though it were another Windows box. If the Vista box is on the network other than this, you might check to see if Samba and the Vista box are using the same workgroup name. I've seen XP to Linux connections give problems when they were in different workgroups.
Old 02-21-08, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I do the network scan in Vista and it tells me nothing found. I'll give it another go around and change the workgroup name.

I know nothing about networking, but I know e-mailing myself files to transfer between OS's is not the way things should be.