Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC games. Are the discs REALLY necessary?

Old 02-17-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
PC games. Are the discs REALLY necessary?

I have a bunch of Star Wars games for the PC on disc (the Phantom Menace, Battle For Naboo, Rebel Assault, etc). Is there any way possible for me to drag the content onto the computer so I don't have to use the individual discs?

If so, how would I go about doing it?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are "Virtual" cd drive programs you can buy or download (some offer limited use free trial versions). One I've used, coincidentally enough, is called Virtual CD. It creates a new E, F, G drive visible in My Computer, you put in the original CD, it basically creates an exact image of that disk. To play it go to the new "F" drive and "insert" the (image of the) disk. Obviously you'd need lots of hard drive space, but when I used it, I had no problems. Your computer should see the virtual drive just like a regular drive.
Old 02-17-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can also get No-Cd EXE's for the games so you can play them without the Cd's.
Old 02-17-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nifty03
You can also get No-Cd EXE's for the games so you can play them without the Cd's.
I agree, who wants to put in a disc everytime they want to play a game, I use these all the time, that way my game CD's are stored away safely. I wish I could give out some links, but it may not be allowed here.
Old 02-17-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Although the problem with some of those no-CD executables is that they can often refuse to patch when updates come out. Small quibble.
Old 02-17-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

most games today have macrovision and other watermark type protection and there is code in almost every CD/DVD drive sold today to recognize and process those watermarks and to refuse to copy them.
Old 02-17-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They used to make this drive tower that you could put in like a hundred CDROMs, so you wouldn't have to swap out discs, etc. Maybe you can get one of those.
Old 02-18-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
bingo
Old 02-20-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should do this more often. Typically, I only go to sites offering those if I have a game that keeps insisting I inserted the wrong disc. (Frustrating, since I purchased the game and it is 100% legitimate.)