Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

XP reinstall FUBARed.

Old 02-15-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

XP reinstall FUBARed.

I recently started a thread about how my ethernet jack just went out completely on my Windows XP desktop, but the internet connected just fine when I ran from an Ubuntu Live Disk. I backed up all of my XP data and then installed Ubuntu from a clean HDD.

My wife didn't like Ubuntu, and I can understand why. At this point in time I just don't have the energy to learn a new OS, and I'd prefer to stick with the devil I know (maybe later Linux apologists).

When I went to reinstall XP from the included disc, I've had all kinds of problems. The Internet is unrecognized, the monitor is unrecognized, and I can't get anywhere with this. It's SP1a (I think), and it's not the first time I've had to reinstall the OS. I don't want to have a bricked desktop, but it seems like that is the way it's going.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-15-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of pc is it? You may need to install individual drivers for those items. I know with Dell pc's they include a driver disc for all the peripheral items that came with the pc.
Old 02-15-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it sounds like you needs to install drivers...

you always have to do that...

though XP should have thrown low level drivers at some devices, like the monitor, so you can see something on the monitor... i'm assuming you have a working display...

go download driver's and install them...

you can go to the manufacturer's web site and do this easily...
Old 02-15-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As for the monitor issue, can you at least boot up in safe mode, configure the monitor to its default settings before drivers are installed, then boot up normally so you can see what you're doing?
Old 02-15-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll give all of that a try later on. Another issue is that when I go to the Start menu, I only have options to Shut Down or Restart. The option to go on "Standby" is grayed out.

Anyway, I'll get back to everyone later with what I find out about installing drivers. I'm hesitant to unplug my router and mainline the internet into the tower b/c I don't want to get to the point where I can't reconfigure the router for my wireless set up.

Thanks, again!
Old 02-15-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Drivers are the issue for the first set of problems.

As for the other, I have seen this before and it seems to a very intermittent problem. For the few I have dealt with, I turned off User Switching and the welcome screen and it appeared.

Last edited by macnorton; 02-15-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-15-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright, I'm trying to track down the drivers disk, and I might be up the creek. This office is a mess, so it could be anywhere. That's my night time project.

Thanks again for the info. I've been on a mac almost exclusively since my last reinstall, and I forgot all about those pesky drivers.

Thanks!
Old 02-15-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82
I'll give all of that a try later on. Another issue is that when I go to the Start menu, I only have options to Shut Down or Restart. The option to go on "Standby" is grayed out.
Sounds like I may have misunderstood when you initially said your monitor was unrecognized. I was thinking you couldn't see anything but a black screen. But I'm fairly certain the standby issue is because of your video drivers. Once your video card has its drivers installed, the standby option should return.