Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Disappearing Folder

Old 02-08-08, 02:26 PM

The Disappearing Folder

I was sending a buddy some music yesterday through AIM and I accidentally dragged My Pictures into My Music, so to take it out, I dragged it to the hard drive it was in, labeled D. I noticed that it now was not where it was supposed to be or in My Music, or anywhere in D. I checked the recycle bin and it wasn't in there and I even tried searching for it and nothing came up. Anyone know what the hell happened?
Old 02-08-08, 03:36 PM

Try using Find to search for an individual picture filename you remember from the folder, rather than searching for the MyPictures folder. You could search for *.jpg if you don't remember any filenames.
Once the file is located, check it's properties to see what drive/folder/etc it is in.
Old 02-08-08, 10:56 PM

Nope, tried it, nothing. This is the weirdest thing. Although I found a folder called My Pictures within another folder called "0" which is in my D drive. When I click it I get "D:\0\My Pictures is not accessible. Access is denied." I'm not sure if this is the same folder because I thought it was labeled Ian's Pictures.

Last edited by Imail724; 02-08-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-08-08, 11:08 PM

I just did a system restore and the folder is now back with all the pictures inside it, only thing it, when I click the pictures I get "No preview available." Did all my pictures become corrupted?

Last edited by Imail724; 02-08-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 12:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Imail724
I just did a system restore and the folder is now back with all the pictures inside it, only thing it, when I click the pictures I get "No preview available." Did all my pictures become corrupted?
You could just be having a problem with your thumbs.db file. I would try opening the image files in whatever problem you use to look at images. As long as they open correctly there you should be okay.
Old 02-11-08, 01:44 PM

That's what I did. I opened them in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer but instead of showing the image, it just shows "No Preview Available."
Old 02-11-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check off the file types that pertain to your system. This is for XP
Restore Thumnail view in XP
Old 02-11-08, 08:08 PM

There is no problem with the thumnail view. The images themselves will not display at all. Not in Windows P&F Viewer, not in Quicktime, not in Paint.
Old 02-11-08, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you tried to right click on one of your files and select the "Open With">Choose Program>Select your program such as P&F and make sure you place a check mark in the box that says "Always use this program to open this kind of file" and click OK?

This should Re-attach the file type (jpg) to the program you told it to open with.

Editied to add info:
Sometimes the dll becomes Unregistered with a image program. Using the Start>run command box usually works:
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll or
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

This re-registers the dll.

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 02-11-08 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 01:52 PM

No go. I think it is safe to assume by now I am not getting this pictures back. Oh well. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-12-08, 07:02 PM

All those pictures are still on my iPod, is there a way to get them from my iPod back to my computer without losing quality?
Old 02-18-08, 06:43 PM

I gave up on this and decided to just delete all the files but it won't let me! I even tried permanently deleting them with Ace Utilities and still get an error message. What is going on?!!?!?!