Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop dead. Possible to recover files?

Old 02-07-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laptop dead. Possible to recover files?

I have a Gateway laptop, I think the model number is M675. I can turn the power on, meaning the fan kicks in and the "on" light is lit, but it doesn't start up. It actually began starting up earlier, but it restarted on its own, and now it appears to be dead. Windows doesn't load, BIOS doesn't load. Nothing. After leaving it off for about 15 minutes, I tried again. It began to start up again, got to the Windows loading screen, then it restarted on me again. I'm assuming the motherboard is dying, because these are the same symptoms I experience when my desktop died 5 years ago.

Anyways, how would I go about retrieving the files off the hard drive on the laptop?
Old 02-07-08, 09:47 PM

You can buy a small enclosure that converts the hard drive's interface (which will be either ATA-6 or SATA, depending on how old it is) to USB.

EDIT: Just to give some additional info:
- You'd have to remove the hard drive from the laptop (I'm not familiar with that laptop, but I've done a couple and they're typically pretty easy). You'll probably just need a small screwdriver.
- Once you have the hard drive out, look up its model number so you'll know which interface it has.
- Buy the enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive with the correct interface. Put the hard drive into the enclosure. You now have an external hard drive that you can plug into any computer's USB port and access the files on it.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 02-07-08 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
You can buy a small enclosure that converts the hard drive's interface (which will be either ATA-6 or SATA, depending on how old it is) to USB.

EDIT: Just to give some additional info:
- You'd have to remove the hard drive from the laptop (I'm not familiar with that laptop, but I've done a couple and they're typically pretty easy). You'll probably just need a small screwdriver.
- Once you have the hard drive out, look up its model number so you'll know which interface it has.
- Buy the enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive with the correct interface. Put the hard drive into the enclosure. You now have an external hard drive that you can plug into any computer's USB port and access the files on it.
Thanks for the quick reply, Kevin! Do you have a rough estimate for how much enclosures go for?
Old 02-07-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Search newegg for 2.5 enclosure and you'll find several for under $15 shipped.
Old 02-07-08, 10:08 PM

I looked up your laptop model at the Gateway support site. It is pretty easy to remove the hard drive, and I think your laptop has an IDE hard drive interface.
Old 02-07-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I just popped out the drive and it says ATA/IDE. Thanks for the info wmansir and Kevin!
Old 02-07-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

one thing you will need a little converter part for the laptop harddrive to work in the enclosure.
Old 02-08-08, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by strife
one thing you will need a little converter part for the laptop harddrive to work in the enclosure.
If the enclosure is made for a 2.5" laptop hard drive, nothing else will be needed.

Last edited by Kevin Phillips; 02-08-08 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-12-08, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

2.5" HDDs can be USB powered so no external power supply on an enclosure is needed.