Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptop PC w/ Bluetooth

Old 02-03-08, 10:45 AM

Laptop PC w/ Bluetooth

I just ordered a new Laptop PC with integrated Bluetooth. I plan to buy a Bluetooth mouse.

My question is, how many Bluetooth devices can you sync up with at one time? I have a couple other Bluetooth devices such as an iPhone and Bluetooth headset. Can they all be connected to the laptop and operating at once?
Old 02-03-08, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jamers
I just ordered a new Laptop PC with integrated Bluetooth. I plan to buy a Bluetooth mouse.

My question is, how many Bluetooth devices can you sync up with at one time? I have a couple other Bluetooth devices such as an iPhone and Bluetooth headset. Can they all be connected to the laptop and operating at once?
There's a hard limit of 7 "active" devices plus 250 "parked" (sleeping) devices, not counting your laptop's own Bluetooth adapter.

In practice, once you start going above 2 or 3 devices simultaneously you start running into data rate problems. If you notice your mouse moving erratically or your headset dropping audio when all 3 devices are connected, that's probably the reason. If you have devices that support the Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR standard, that should help, since that gives you about triple the data rate of standard Bluetooth.
Old 02-03-08, 03:28 PM

One more thing. The Kodak Printer I'm looking at has Optional Bluetooth 1.2 connectivity (requires adapter, not included). Will any Bluetooth adapter work? The KODAK Wireless 2.0 USB Bluetooth Adapter is $50 while the Linksys USB 2.0 Wireless USB Bluetooth Adapter is $30. Heck I even see some on NewEgg for $20. Will any of these plug into the Kodak Printer and allow me to print directly to it using the Bluetooth connection from my Laptop?

I just noticed the Kodak printer says 1.2 connectivity while the adpater says 2.0 connectivity. That's odd. I hope that's not a problem.
Old 02-03-08, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jamers
The Kodak Printer I'm looking at has Optional Bluetooth 1.2 connectivity (requires adapter, not included). Will any Bluetooth adapter work? The KODAK Wireless 2.0 USB Bluetooth Adapter is $50 while the Linksys USB 2.0 Wireless USB Bluetooth Adapter is $30. Heck I even see some on NewEgg for $20. Will any of these plug into the Kodak Printer and allow me to print directly to it using the Bluetooth connection from my Laptop?
Good question. I wouldn't expect it to work with a third-party Bluetooth adapter (especially since it's in Kodak's best interest not to), but you'll really need to talk to Kodak's customer support to know for sure.

Note that Bluetooth 1.2 is pretty slow, so I wouldn't bother using it for printing unless I had a really good reason for it.