Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I need a better printing solution. Help!

Old 01-30-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

I need a better printing solution. Help!

My office currently uses a host of Canon inkjet printers. The basic theory is that we can buy cheap printers (around $70), but non oem ink, run the hell out of them and replace the entire thing every 1-2 years as they go bad. They always go bad.

But it is a pain in the butt. Just replaced 3 (out of 5). Is there a better overall solution? The cost of ink seems to be the biggest irritant for me. Would using one color laser printer and networking be a better way to go? Are there better printers than canon for overall cost to use?

We dont' need real fancy stuff, just good solid printers that do color.

Thoughts?
Old 01-30-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do you need color?
Old 01-30-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, we gotta' have color.
Old 01-30-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about those new Kodak printers (Easyshare) that use ink that coast half the price. It was on the apprentice recently.
Old 01-30-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Laserjet ~ 12 cents per color page.

Inkjet ~ 28 cents per color page.

Xerox Phaser (Solid Ink) ~ 3 cents per color page

All rough estimates using manufacturers estimates of pages per cartridge and retail pricing on ink. My office primarily uses Xerox Phaser's with roughly 20 - 30 people printing to them.

The Xerox are $700 make sure you find the models that are solid ink, they also sell color laser under the phaser name. You can get a decent dell color laser for $300.
Old 01-30-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cseyer
Laserjet ~ 12 cents per color page.

Inkjet ~ 28 cents per color page.

Xerox Phaser (Solid Ink) ~ 3 cents per color page

All rough estimates using manufacturers estimates of pages per cartridge and retail pricing on ink. My office primarily uses Xerox Phaser's with roughly 20 - 30 people printing to them.

The Xerox are $700 make sure you find the models that are solid ink, they also sell color laser under the phaser name. You can get a decent dell color laser for $300.
What brand is the dell "really"?

I have kicked around the phaser because I love Star Trek

I'll have to check in on them again. I know the inkjet sure isn't the cheap option it once was, and Canon has gone to a computer chip on the things that make them a PITA to refill and deal with.
Old 01-30-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

And I take it the solid color Zerox ones are the spendy ones?
Old 01-30-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Color printing is expensive - must be nice

I wouldn't touch a Dell laser, although they were made by Lexmark at one point (not sure if they still are) they do not hold up well under load.

The Xerox Phaser is a unique animal - *IF* you keep them printing constantly all day long, they tend to hold up better than if they only print occasionally thoughout the day. Repair on one is a min. $280 labor charge + parts (and I am sure mileage charge where you are located), just keep that in mind. The output looks awesome, but the surface of the printout can be scratched. There are more maintenance items to keep replacing than with some laser printers. I only have them in use for specialized need, printing market materials and such.

I am not sure if this blows your buget, but you will get a fairly impressive work load and service life out of this printer. This is my color printer for every task.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=846228
Old 01-31-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

why not just buy a color laser for like $300 or whatever they are now? you don't even need networking since you can just share it off one of the PC's or ask someone to borrow a copy of windows server
Old 01-31-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Al has a good point, you can get something like this

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/p...Q7822A%2523ABA

I am just really not sure of your work load and how well the lower end HP will hold up under it.
Old 01-31-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm going to guess workload totalis 100 pages a day including incoming faxes, etc. I would need an all-in-one machine if I went this route. Also, I read that the solid ink phaser isn't economical if you turn off the printer much because it uses up ink during a warm up period. We never turn off the machine because it is also the fax.

Al - I honestly know little of networking, sharing, etc., so I'm a little lost on that.
Old 01-31-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dave never turning a phaser off but not using it much dries the wax out and causes printer failures. I really don't think you want one of those.

the egg has the lower end HP color laser for $250 shipped today only

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828104363
Old 01-31-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Thanks, but I think I need a multifunction if I do this.

I guess I have time. Currently everyone has a new cheap cannon. I just don't want to keep going through this.
Old 02-01-08, 09:54 AM
Admin-Thanos

An office that does a decent amount of printing shouldn't be using inkjet printers. I also don't see the need to print every freakin' page in color. You'd get slaughtered at my company with those kind of ideas. If you have less than 10 people in your office, why not have a nice b/w laser printer and a color laser, both networked? You print word documents and b/w stuff to the b/w printer and if you REALLY truly need color, you print to the color printer. They will break less than those crappy inkjets and the ink cartridges will last a hell of a lot longer too. Less headaches.
Old 02-01-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
both networked
That networked printer concept has not made it into daves part of the world yet. They just figured out how to make outhouses flush, don't rush them with your new fangled ideas
Old 02-01-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by 4KRG
That networked printer concept has not made it into daves part of the world yet. They just figured out how to make outhouses flush, don't rush them with your new fangled ideas
Even that is still in the experimental phase. I mean, crap INSIDE your house? C'mon.

Not sure I could get the office people to switch between two printers.

FOOK!
Old 02-01-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Even that is still in the experimental phase. I mean, crap INSIDE your house? C'mon.

FOOK!
when you tell them their other option is kinkos, you might get more support
Old 02-01-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
First it would take dave a few weeks to explain what a kinkos was, he might have to fire up the old VW bus and drive them all 600 miles to show them a kinkos in real life.

You city people and your crazy concepts no one would drive that far everytime they printed something.
Old 02-01-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We joke about it in here, but I have seen plently of people that have used computers on networks for years and STILL can't figure out how to select a different printer when one is out of toner (of course, they could never replace the toner either) so they make these urgent panic phone calls into the help desk that they can't print.

It takes the help desk agent 20 minutes of questions (slowness due to end users answers to the questions) to determine they really don't need another printer connected, but just a toner replaced in the printer they normally use
Old 02-01-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by twikoff
KEEN KOSE?
Old 02-01-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega
An office that does a decent amount of printing shouldn't be using inkjet printers.
he estimated the whole office does about 100 pages per day, and that includes incoming faxes..

in my world, thats a long way away from a decent amount
of course.. with how cheap some lasers have gotten, Im against inkjet all together now..

especially having multiple inkjet printers with limited use.. so basically just sitting back and drying up the overpriced ink cartidges.
Old 02-01-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know we are a hillbilly out in the boonies, but I am still wondering why a real stand alone fax machine is receiving faxes

http://www.myfax.com/1/index1.asp?pg...FQspFQodFzB3dg

If you want to keep your current fax number, see if they can transfer it in or maybe your existing phone service can forward it.

Sure you can have a physical fax around for outgoing faxes (that can share with a voice line since you control when they go out), I know it is hard to teach n00bs to use a scanner.

Why worry about incoming faxes when for $10/month you have electronic fax, you spend more than that in one ink replacement. (and no one needs color faxes )

I assume your trained possums can use email

then get the $350 color laser
Old 02-02-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Woot has an Okidata laser B&W for $155 shipped. I picked one up for my property manager. He uses the printer the most and doesn't need color. So that's a start.

I like my dedicated fax lin.
Old 02-02-08, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the Lexmark C500n got a 'very good' from CNET reviews... Link... and was #3 on the 'top 10 printers' list from PCWorld... 4 out of 5 stars, 'very good', from PCMagazine - Link... ... in short it gets good reviews...

the toner cartridges are a little more than average... but they last for thousands of pages each...

i haven't seen a review that places any lower cost color laser printer in the same print quality, both simple text and color photo, as the Lexmark c500n...

i'm think about getting it for my home... it's relatively inexpensive for a color laser... and seeing you have been able to make do with inkjet printers, i think it would have all the features you needed, would print much faster, and would have better image quality to boot...

Link to Lexmark site...

i don't know what site you use to buy from... but i primarily use Provantage, they have been less money on so many things from small to large i kinda don't price shop as much any more, Provantage is usually the best price... Link to Provantage... they have this printer at $256 which is a deal, (you have to add it to the cart to see the price)... Link... you might consider this...
Old 02-02-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like my dedicated fax lin.
Keep the line, just axe the physical fax machine

Ya know, pretend the fax machine is a dog and shoot it out back behind the barn.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.