Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I cant log into Windows XP!

Old 01-26-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant log into Windows XP!

Windows XP Pro

I had it set up so that when it booted it just went right into Windows - no logging in.

Today when i booted it up it came to the user log in screen:

Edward

I don't ever remember picking a password! I can't get into under anything but Guest.

What do I do?
Old 01-26-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Type administrator as the user name at login and hit enter. Maybe you did not set a password for it.
Old 01-26-08, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To login as administrator in XP, you'll need to boot into Safe Mode (press F8 while the PC's booting).

Once logged in as administrator, go to control panel and remove the password for your Edward account, or change it to something you know.
Old 01-29-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

didnt work...even hitting F8 forces me to sign in
Old 01-29-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One possible solution: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=305
Old 01-30-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this utility; it resets passwords for Windows NT/2000/XP.

I've used it dozens of times with clients that had forgotten their passwords. The only thing about the utility is that you should use it to reset your password to BLANK (not the word "blank", I mean no password) and then change the password to something else when you get back into Windows. If you try actually changing the password using this tool, there's a 1% chance that it'll screw up and you won't be able to boot into Windows at all. Simply "blanking" the password and changing it within Windows eliminates this possibility.

To login as administrator in XP, you'll need to boot into Safe Mode
This is blatantly wrong. No offense.
Old 02-04-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Try this utility; it resets passwords for Windows NT/2000/XP.

I've used it dozens of times with clients that had forgotten their passwords. The only thing about the utility is that you should use it to reset your password to BLANK (not the word "blank", I mean no password) and then change the password to something else when you get back into Windows. If you try actually changing the password using this tool, there's a 1% chance that it'll screw up and you won't be able to boot into Windows at all. Simply "blanking" the password and changing it within Windows eliminates this possibility.

This is blatantly wrong. No offense.
This is your best bet. I have used this tool as well and it does work. Windows is very picky about certain things with the administrator user. But that 1% of things going wrong is accurate.

Also, booting into safe made to login as administrator is wrong. To login, you need to have welcome screen (and in some cases fast user switching) turned off. Other wise the account is not visible with the welcome screen about 75% of the time.
Old 02-07-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton
Also, booting into safe made to login as administrator is wrong.
It's not wrong, in that it will work, but as I've since learned, it is unnecessary.

http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/121/129/
"Logging on as System Administrator (the main Administrator) is done by Booting your computer in Safe Mode (F8 While booting)."

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...id=1643&page=2
"In Windows XP Home, the built-in 'administrator' account is only available in safe mode and is the default account for that mode."

To login, you need to have welcome screen (and in some cases fast user switching) turned off.
Fast user switching requires the welcome screen, so disabling the welcome screen always turns off fast user switching.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

The best way to login to the default Administrator account is to press CTR-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen, which will bring up the classic windows login window, as detailed in this link:
http://www.fixmyxp.com/content/view/121/129/