Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help with new HD installation

Old 01-21-08, 01:05 PM

Need help with new HD installation

I installed a new hard drive in my HP m376n desktop computer. It has XP Media Center installed on it. I went into the BIOS and the new Maxtor 500GB IDE hard drive shows up as the Master. I set it to boot from the DVD drive and put in the recovery DVD. It won't do anything. I just get a black screen with a flashing cursor. I tried hooking the old drive back up and recovering it and it won't work either. It went into the recovery but then I got a blue screen that said there was an error and the hard drive was shut down. I backed everything from the old computer up on my external hd but I don't know if that helps without getting the new hard drive running. Is there anything anyone can tell me to do that might help?
Old 01-21-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is the old hard drive? You set the boot order for the dvd drive? Why? Was the new drive formated?
Old 01-21-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

wait
you added a new harddrive to your machine that already had an operating system from a previous system loaded on it.. and then tried to boot to it?

in most cases, thats not going to work.. and will lead to the problems you are describing

if thats really what you did.. and you are hard pressed to try and make it work.. you can get the xp cd and run a repair.. sometimes that will get you by
Old 01-21-08, 03:23 PM

I replaced the old hard drive which is no longer working. I have the recovery DVD from the computer. I put that in the DVD drive and when I just put in the hard drive and turned it on it wouldn't do anything. Actually at one point it said to put a disk in the drive but the recovery disk was already in there. So I figured I needed it to start at the DVD drive so it would read the recovery disk. I switched it to that. It doesn't matter what I do, it won't do anything other than show a black screen with a cursor. There is no reason the recovery DVD shouldn't work since the only change is the hard drive. I replaced a hard drive in an emachines and used its recovery disk without a problem. Why wouldn't this work?
Old 01-21-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

did you go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from the dvd?

you need to fix the boot order first
Old 01-21-08, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
did you go into the bios and change the boot order to boot from the dvd?

you need to fix the boot order first
Yes, that's what I did and it still won't work.
Old 01-21-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by megashopper
I replaced the old hard drive which is no longer working. I have the recovery DVD from the computer. I put that in the DVD drive and when I just put in the hard drive and turned it on it wouldn't do anything. Actually at one point it said to put a disk in the drive but the recovery disk was already in there. So I figured I needed it to start at the DVD drive so it would read the recovery disk. I switched it to that. It doesn't matter what I do, it won't do anything other than show a black screen with a cursor. There is no reason the recovery DVD shouldn't work since the only change is the hard drive. I replaced a hard drive in an emachines and used its recovery disk without a problem. Why wouldn't this work?
I am not sure a recovery disk will work since the hardware configuration has changed. It is expecting to see the old hard drive with the operating system on it.

If you want to do what you are trying, you could install your OS on the new hard drive and add programs to that new drive.
Old 01-21-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

shouldnt matter that its a new harddrive

sounds to me like you arent getting booted off the cd
thats a factory provided cd.. and not disk 2 of 2 or anything like that.. right?

issue doesnt sound to be with that drive.. its just getting booted off the cd at all
Old 01-21-08, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
shouldnt matter that its a new harddrive

sounds to me like you arent getting booted off the cd
thats a factory provided cd.. and not disk 2 of 2 or anything like that.. right?

issue doesnt sound to be with that drive.. its just getting booted off the cd at all
It's not a factory provided cd; it's the recovery DVD I made when I got the computer. It only made one dvd so I'm not putting in the wrong one. I just can't figure out why it won't install. I don't have a windows xp cd to try to install just the os so I don't know if that would work or not. I'm really frustrated. On a side note though my 15 year old saw the flashing cursor and was going to type 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. It did provide a little relief to the aggravation of trying to get our computer to work again (it's the one he and I use).
Old 01-21-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

recovery dvd that you made?

what software did you use to make it? most likely whatever you used, didnt create a bootable disk, and requires that software to *extract* the recovery image

if you used windows backup.. you need windows installed before you can recover the data
Old 01-21-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if possible, i would recommend you put the old drive back in and clone it to the new drive either internally (as a slave) or externally (via an enclosure or adapter). you can put your new drive in and set it to master.
Old 01-21-08, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by kms_md
if possible, i would recommend you put the old drive back in and clone it to the new drive either internally (as a slave) or externally (via an enclosure or adapter). you can put your new drive in and set it to master.
The old drive won't work either though. I have tried the recovery on it and it just gives me an error and won't (or can't) recover. It won't help to hook it up to the new one when it won't work will it? It has a recovery partition but I haven't been able to get that to work to recover the hard drive either.

Twickoff; I used whatever program HP put on the computer to create a recovery disk. I never thought about the fact that it may not be a bootable disk because I assumed that when it had me make it, it would be good to recover the whole system. About two weeks ago, I used recovery disks that I made from an emachine to restore it when I put a new hard drive in it and it did fine. Why wouldn't the HP ones work the same?
Old 01-21-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

he's using PC recovery which is the software HP gives you instead of a real disk. I have used these to rebuild my current drive but I have not tried on a new drive.

megashopper might need to the $5 to get the real disks.
Old 01-21-08, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by strife
She's using PC recovery which is the software HP gives you instead of a real disk. I have used these to rebuild my current drive but I have not tried on a new drive.

megashopper might need to the $5 to get the real disks.
Are theirs different from the one I made? I just found it on hp's website but it costs $16-$22 (depending on which shipping I choose) and if it's the same thing I don't want to waste the money. They make it sound the same as the one I burned.