Reload this Page >

Bizarre keyboard/mouse problem(s) - Dell w/ XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-21-08, 11:09 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I know I could get more info from PC forums or from searching, but I believe in fulfilling every need of my life thru dvdtalk (the muffins in the coffee shop are great).

So I have this bizarre keyboard/mouse freezing problem on my year or two old Dell with Windows XP. I generally have only firefox running, and occasionally, out of the blue, my keyboard and mouse will stop responding. No key or button will work, waiting it out won't fix it, and I am left with the only option of hitting the power button.

I thought that it may be related to the cordless Logitech itouch combo I'm using, so I tried an old style mouse and keyboard. Same problem. Sometimes I go days without it flaring up, sometimes it happens five minutes after a reboot. It often seems to happen 30 seconds after powering up from standby mode. I'll get out of standby, have time to click one link in my email, and they'll freeze up. The computer will continue running normally, just won't let me use my keyboard or mouse.

Possibly related, two small startup programs come with the logitech setup. Logitech mouseware properties, which lets my change the functions of the scrollwheel/buttons, etc. Also, itouch configuration, which lets me change the hot buttons on the wireless keyboard. Both of these load on startup and sit in the lower right tray. I rarely use them, but figure they can't hurt, right? But strangely, and only lately, they sometimes do not load up on startup. Sometimes they load and sometimes they don't.

And finally, for the first time today, after rebooting because of the problem, I get the windows error message that windows has closed "run a dll as an app". I keep pretty up to date on my virus checking, spybot, and windows defender, and don't d/load a lot, so I don't think it is malware of any kind.

I think it is a hardware problem, with my ps/2 ports just freezing occasionally.

Or maybe those two startup programs are the problem, but as I said, they sometimes don't load and I still get the problem. Better submit before I lose all this.
Old 01-21-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what exact, i mean specifically, security programs are you running?...
Old 01-21-08, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
what exact, i mean specifically, security programs are you running?...
Nothing fancy, just the free AVG 7.5 for viruses, and the included windows defender.

But I update and run both very regularly, and never download anything strange.
Old 01-21-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I thought that it may be related to the cordless Logitech itouch combo I'm using, so I tried an old style mouse and keyboard. Same problem
I would start by checking the USB drivers and possibly reinstall them. Then check to see if there are any known conflicts on the Dell website, the Logitech website and finally the Windows XP site.

Also check to see if there are updated versions of the logitech drivers, that may also be part of the issue.
Old 01-21-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
run a repair...

start>run>(clear out anything in the box) typre "cmd" (no quotes)

when the command line opens type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)...

let it run...

report if it tells you "in order for windows to run correctly files must be copied to the DLL cache"...

see if anything changes...

the fact that it happens with logitech and with basic ps/2 and mouse could indicate a problem...

windows defender is not a good choice for security... you get what you pay for with 'free' security...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 01-21-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-22-08, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the advice all. I've down some of that already, and will try the other stuff as soon as I finish this HOMM campaign.
Old 01-22-08, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
start>run>(clear out anything in the box) typre "cmd" (no quotes)
when the command line opens type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)...
let it run...
No problems there.

Spybot and ad-aware found nothing as usual.

I removed those two logitech programs, will try some other stuff if the problem returns.
Old 01-22-08, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Received 203 Likes on 146 Posts
Does the clock still run correctly in the task bar? Or does it freeze as well?
Old 01-22-08, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Does the clock still run correctly in the task bar? Or does it freeze as well?
I'm pretty sure it does.

All programs continue running normally, I just can't interact with them.

But I'll check the clock the next time, I mean, if it happens again. (knocking on wood)
Old 01-23-08, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Also check to see if there are updated versions of the logitech drivers, that may also be part of the issue.
Just to prove that I'm not totally stupid, I often check my system device manager and look for updated drivers. With the logitech startup program, there was an update option that I periodically checked. But my mouse/kb combo is fairly old, and they haven't updated drivers for it in years.

But I noticed yesterday that the windows run dll error message popped up again after I ran the logitech program. I later tested it again, and the message popped back up. So I uninstalled the mouseman program, and found an updated version of it online.

That error message hasn't come back, and I haven't frozen, even after a couple stand-bys and restarts.

So while the drivers are the same old drivers, the mouseman properties program, which controls all the special buttons on my mouse, seems to have been the problem. Doh!

Thanks all. Your advice, and the spyware thread, got me to try a couple different programs, confirming that I appear to be clean in that department.
Old 01-23-08, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
I would start by checking the USB drivers and possibly reinstall them. Then check to see if there are any known conflicts on the Dell website, the Logitech website and finally the Windows XP site.

Hes using PS/2 not USB. It could be your BIOS - try updating it.