Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Wireless USB Adapter Problems

Old 01-20-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wireless USB Adapter Problems

My wireless USB adapter just stopped working. I tried it on a few different ports on a couple of my computers, and nothing. Looks like it is toasted. I had just updated my harmony remote control via USB, so I wonder if that was part of the problem, although I had disconnected for a while before the adapter died. Is there anything that I can do to try to reinitialize or reset the adapter, or is it a lost cause now?
Old 01-21-08, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the adapter have any lights on it that turn on when it's plugged into the PC and/or working?

I don't see any way how another USB device could stop it from working, so it's doubtful that your remote update caused it.
Old 01-21-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there are lights when it was working, but now, the lights no longer flash. It does show up as an unrecognized USB piece of hardware on one of my computers, but even when I try to install the drivers, it doesn't pick up.

So do these things just die for no reason?
Old 01-21-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any piece of hardware can die for no apparent reason, but I don't think USB wireless adapters are any more likely to fail than anything else.

If you've tried the device on multiple PCs, it's most like the device that's failed. The fact it no longer lights up further corroborates that theory.
Old 01-21-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah thought so, but I was holding out hope since it was still being recognized by one of my computers, just not being identified. Oh well. Thanks for the help.