Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for a way to "Tag" files in vista

Old 01-20-08, 08:18 PM

Looking for a way to "Tag" files in vista

I've been looking around for something like this for a month or so without any luck.

In Vista, I'm trying to go through my files and "tag" a lot of them with keywords for easier searching (without including each keyphrase in the actual filename (like "Colorado Winter Skiing Snow.JPG").

For JPEGs, Vista lets me do it without a problem:

When I try to do the same for a Photoshop file or non-JPG, it just gives me the basics:

For Video, I can add a number of "info" settings to WMV files (ratings, keywords, title, author, etc..) but since a lot of my files arent WMV, I also just get the basics:

I've seen programs to "tag" MP3 files and images, but none for video and non-standard image files (like a Photoshop PSD). I'd also like to tag document files for easier searching.

And before I continue looking through this, will vistas search feature (the one within folder-views and the start menu) find items by keywords/tags, or am I just wasting my time with all of this?
Old 01-21-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Vista's search function will search the tags files have.

Unfortunately, Vista's tag feature only works for certain types of files.

Here's a good basic article on this feature:
http://lifehacker.com/software/vista...sta-232891.php

While this article goes a bit more in-depth on the technical aspects of the feature:
http://forensicir.blogspot.com/2007/04/vista-tags.html
Old 01-21-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there a way to create file tags? I transfer vinyl albums not on cd to cd with a standalone cd recorder. The programs I've seen search the net for the info and "corrects" incorrect tags but I don't think it would work with these. They are all unknown artist, unknown album, unknown song.
Old 01-21-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
Is there a way to create file tags? I transfer vinyl albums not on cd to cd with a standalone cd recorder. The programs I've seen search the net for the info and "corrects" incorrect tags but I don't think it would work with these. They are all unknown artist, unknown album, unknown song.
Are you ripping mp3 files from these CDs? Vista will let you create tags for mp3s by right clicking on the files and then selecting properties -> details. Of course, there's other programs for other versions of windows, and even for XP, that will tag as well. One I've used it Mp3tag, which will add tags to a multitude of audio file formats:

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/