Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

website downloader?

Old 01-20-08, 01:54 AM

website downloader?

hey guys, so i have been looking for a GOOD website downloader foreva. I tried the firefox extension 'downthemall' but its crap. If I have a page full of pics, vids, etc it only downloads the thumbnails. Is there a way to download and view offline, an entire website? I presume it would take up a lot of hdd space but it would be a nice feature. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-20-08, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bhome83
hey guys, so i have been looking for a GOOD website downloader foreva. I tried the firefox extension 'downthemall' but its crap. If I have a page full of pics, vids, etc it only downloads the thumbnails. Is there a way to download and view offline, an entire website? I presume it would take up a lot of hdd space but it would be a nice feature. Thanks for the help!
the best way i have ever done it is with the full copy/version of adobe acrobat...

you can tell it how many links to follow...

be warned after 2 links deep you are getting into large file sizes...

but it does a wonderful job, and as i mentioned, you can have it follow links and get those sites too...
Old 01-20-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try HTTrack Website

It is totally freeware. I have it and it works well. I don't know if it is listed in the Freeware sticky in the Tech section here at DVDTalk. I thought it was but I will have to check.

EDIT: After Searching the Freeware Sticky, Page 10 has a list

There are are 2 versions webhttrack and winhttrack.
Just FYI: I have mine set to the default settings and it works well. Yes, It takes time to download even on DSL or Cable...

Last edited by 68ShelbyGT500KR; 01-20-08 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-20-08, 04:49 PM

im trying winhttrack right now on cnn.com Ill see what happens. Seems pretty straightforward. Oddly though i tried espn.com and there was some message saying something about a mirror of the site. Didn't read on so im just trying cnn.com. Hopefully it works. Thanks guys for the tips! i might be back...

ps - if you guys know of any relatively small websites (700mb or less) that i can test out that would be welcome. Not sure how big cnn.com is gonna be
Old 01-20-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always used WebReaper.