Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help w/ WD External HD

Old 01-19-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Need help w/ WD External HD

I have a Western Digital MyBook external drive that I've been using for a year or so with my crappy old PC. About a week ago, I got a brand new PC, so I moved all the files I needed from my old PC onto the MyBook, set up the new PC, and plugged the MyBook in.

When I plugged it in, everything worked fine. I haven't really had a chance to use this computer much since then, but today I sat down to use it and the MyBook doesn't seem to be working. The light in the front is supposed to be lit up while the drive is on; instead, I get a slow pulse every five seconds or so -- the light turns on, then turns back off. The PC (Windows Vista) had assigned the MyBook as the K: drive last week; this week, it doesn't recognize the K: drive or think that there's a MyBook plugged in anywhere else.

Anyone have any thoughts on what's going on, and more importantly, how I fix it?
Old 01-20-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not familiar w/ Vista, but did you try turning off the external drive, unplugging it from the PC and then plugging it back in and turning it on?
Old 01-20-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bahgee
Not familiar w/ Vista, but did you try turning off the external drive, unplugging it from the PC and then plugging it back in and turning it on?
Strangely enough, I had tried that and it didn't work. But your post inspired me to unplug the power to the drive and plug it back in, and that worked.

I wonder if I'm going to have to unplug and replug the drive on a regular basis? What a pain.

I got a laptop with Vista about 3 months ago and it didn't give me any problems. This desktop, though ... in addition to the HD problems, I've got a printer that works fine ... except every time I turn the computer on, it tells me I need to install a driver, and then when I try to install the driver, it tells me there was some sort of error that prevented the driver from installing.