Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Epson Compatible Ink... Any good?

Old 01-17-08, 04:06 PM

Epson Compatible Ink... Any good?

I need to get some new ink for my Epson Stylus Photo R200 and I found these non-Epson, compatible ink cartridges for almost 3 times cheaper than the official Epson ink. I saw these and these, amongst others. I really don't need super high-quality prints. I mainly just print DVD labels and inserts. Should I give it a try?
Old 01-17-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Tried cheap ink on my Canon Pixma and the quality was awful.
YMMV
Old 01-17-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had mixed results. The epson ink from Supermedia store use to be pretty good, but even though it's the same brand they changed their cart design and it takes some work for my printer to recognize them sometimes. Eventually it works, and the ink seems the same, so I still use them.

I've had bigger problems with other vendors though. Color match problems, ink that clogs or dries up if it's not used every few days. Even the Staples brand ink I bought locally was garbage. It had dried up or separated so that it appeared to be filled with melted crayon instead of ink.

For me the savings are worth a little risk, but if you don't want to take a chance, or you want to ensure your prints to last a long time, then stick with OEM ink.
Old 01-18-08, 02:30 PM

I've been using generic ink in my R200 for two years, without problems. I've been getting mine from Rima.com. Might have to check Amazon out in the future.