Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best DVD Burning Software?

Old 01-17-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best DVD Authoring Software?

Hey guys,

For those that make their own home movies and burn them to dvd, what software do you feel is best?

Which software has the most interesting variety of menu's? What software offers the most flexibility to customize your DVD in any fashion you want? What software offers the best quality?

And also, which editing software would you guys recommend? I don't need any MAJOR like a Final Cut or Adobe, but I would like something much better than the ones already installed on your computer when you buy it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PacMan2006; 01-17-08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're not asking about burning software so much as authoring software.

I've been using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory and like it quite a bit. It has plenty of menu templates, but I tend to replace the background photo with one of my own.
Old 01-17-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Personally, I'm more comfortable with Nero VisionExpress than Ulead. Both should have a trial download. But now that I don't care about menus, I use DVDFlick to create the dvd iso.
Old 01-17-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The problem with NeroVision is that when creating a video with chapters, unless you disable the SmartEncoding option you'll likely end up making a DVD with out-of-sync audio. SmartEncoding basically does a straight copy of the video to DVD files, and disabling it reencodes the video from scratch. Takes longer, but you aren't going to have any problems that way.

I would guess that the loss of sync comes from the SmartEncoding turning on and off when authoring the chapters themselves, which have to be encoded, then the rest of the video is copied normally.

Nero 8 has improved the Nerovision DVD templates, FINALLY allowing 16:9 menus, but is more complicated (and therefore more annoying) when customizing the templates for your disc.