Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help! Can't close program installation box

Old 01-15-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Help! Can't close program installation box

For some reason,my Roxio Easy cd/dvd Creator 6 program is trying to install itself and needs a cd to complete the installation. I don't know why this is happening,since I never use the program and did not do anything to start the installation.

The most annoying part is,that the box comes onscreen with option to continue or cancel. And everytime I click cancel,the box pops back up saying it is installing this program.Then another box comes up stating program not available,must use cd-rom to complete installation. I don't have this cd-rom from what I am aware of(I just checked). In fact, I don't recall ever installing this program in the first place. I think it came already installed on the laptop.

If that is not worse enough. I can not uninstall this program or 'repair' it. Since the message "program/application already in progress,please close before continuing". And of course I can not close the program box at all,since it keeps poping back up!

Is there anything I can do?
Old 01-15-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you kill it by doing a CTRL+ALT+DELETE and ending the app or process?
Old 01-15-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or you could try booting into safe-mode and uninstalling it there. (does that work? I never remember if you can uninstall stuff in safe-mode)
Old 01-16-08, 01:28 AM

I didn't get to try either of those options. But I happened to have clicked the correct file in Task Manager by pure luck(it was not listed as 'Roxio' or "Easy dvd/cd"). And was able to end the process, and then uninstall the program after closing the box.

How do you go into safe mode? And I'll try to remember ctrl alt delete if something similar happens again.
Old 01-16-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CTRL+ALT+DELETE is just another way of lading the Task Manager.

To boot into Safe Mode, press F8 when booting up and choose it from the boot menu that comes up.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm
Old 01-16-08, 08:17 AM

I've had similar problems with other programs. I used this program to clean up the bad installation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301